User:Sarah Labianca/Notebook/Smyth Lab/2012/04/28

From OpenWetWare

< User:Sarah Labianca | Notebook | Smyth Lab | 2012 | 04
Revision as of 22:58, 28 April 2012 by Sarah Labianca (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ←Older revision | Current revision (diff) | Newer revision→ (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Project name Main project page
Previous entry      Next entry

Problems with the accelerometer

  • When taking data from the accelerometer, we ran into some issues. The magnets were interfering with the impact. They were pulling towards each other and causing misreadings on the accelerometer. In addition, our data had very large error, and even though there was increasing force with increasing angle of inclination, the data was very messy and we could not reasonably fit a curve to it.


We also noticed that the breadboard was moving a little with every impact, absorbing some of the impact. This of course would throw off the measurements.

To correct for both of these issues, we attempted to stabilize the protoboard against a block of wood, and to correct for the interference from the magnets, we removed them. Unfortunately, this did not work. The data we collected was even messier than the previous data (both will be uploaded in a manageable format at a later date).

We decided to use a video tracking system with an HD webcam, to see if it could determine the force from the motion.

The program we were using to analyze the d


Personal tools