Date of Birth: 22/09/85
Hometown: Stamford, Lincs
So, I'm Tom. I'm currently a on year out from my Biochemistry degree at Imperial on a work placement with GlaxoSmithKline. Did want to be a pilot in the RAF but my eyes let me down. But in a way I'm kinda glad because I'm really enjoying my subject, and very glad I did it (to think I once considered Psychology and Computer Science ;) ).
Possibly looking at a career in Research or Industry, but defiantley want to stay in the field. No investment banks for me!
I've sold my soul to big business and am working for GSK @ Stevenage for a year paid placement. I'm currently working on Antibody Technology projects as well as the odd Antibody Humanisation. Was offered a placement at Pfizer, in Sandwich, and am having some regrets that I didn't choose that one. Mainly as the area and facilites are all really really nice. Stevenage, on the other hand, is a pile.
So I was in the Imperial iGEM 2006 team, designing and building a Biological Oscilator. It never got finished but we won second prize anyway. Obviously all those hours Jimmy spent on MatLab models was time well spent! Unfortunatley we didn't get any prize money, so I don't think I'll be able to afford a helicopter anytime soon.
After my placement with GSK has finished I've been offered a posistion as a visiting worker at Imperial to do some of my own research in the month I have off between end of placement and the start of my final year. Hopefully will get some good results!
- Imperial College London (2004-Present)
- BSc Biochemistry with a Year in Industry
- Stamford School (1997-2004)
- Biology, Chemistry, Maths
- Maths, English Lit, Enlgish Lang, Dual Science, French, Geography, History, Latin
- St. Gilbert's Primary School (1994-1997)
- Finger painting, pasta models, excessive use of glitter
- If you're old fashioned you can send me a letter!
- 189 Shephall Way
- SG2 9RE
- My mobile number is:
- You can e-mail me at:
- And finally, add me to MSN: