- Peng Xu
- Laboratory for Bioinformatics and Metabolic Engineering, 56-422
- Department of Chemical Engieering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 25 Ames street, Cambridge, MA 02139
- pxu999 at gmail dot com
- PhD, Chemical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- MS, Biochemical Engineering, Jiangnan University
- BS, Biotechnology, Jiangnan University
Peng Xu, Ph.D., received his B.S. degree in biological engineering and M.S. degree in biochemical engineering from Jiangnan University (Wuxi, China). After that, he worked two years as a full-time instructor and researcher in Dalian Polytechnic University, where he lectured courses and conducted research on bioprocess and fermentation engineering. He then joined to the graduate program of Chemical and Biological engineering, the State University of New York at Buffalo. In January of 2011, he moved to the Chemical engineering department of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute to continue his Ph.D. work. His Ph.D. project is mainly focused on the development of synthetic biology tools that support the design, construction and optimization of metabolic pathways. After completion of his Ph.D. degree, he moved to his current position as a postdoctoral research associate in the Department of Chemical Engineering, MIT, where he works on improving lipid biofuel production from Yarrowia lipolytica. Peng’s research work has led to 13 peer-reviewed scientific articles. He was awarded the Danisco Scholarship for Excellent Students in Biotechnology in 2006 and Chinese Government Scholarship for Outstanding Students Studying Abroad in 2012.
- Metabolic engineering
- Synthetic biology
- Natural Products/Biofuels
- Biochemical/Bioprocess engineering
Please refer to Google Scholar for complete list of publications and citations
- Xu P, Wang W, Li L, Zhang F, Bhan N and Koffas MA. (2013) Design and kinetic analysis of a hybrid promoter-regulator system for malonyl-CoA sensing in E. coli. ACS Chemical Biology, Accepted.
- Wang W, Englaender J, Xu P, Linhardt RJ, Koffas MA. (2013) Expression of low endotoxin 3-O-sulfotransferase in B. subtilis and B. megaterium. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Accepted.
- Xu P, Gu Q; Wang W, Wong L, Bower A, Collins CH and Koffas MA. (2013) Modular optimization of multi-gene pathway for fatty acids production in E. coli. Nature Communications, 4: 1409.
- Bhan N, Xu P and Koffas MA. (2013) Pathway and protein engineering approaches to produce novel and commodity small molecules. Current Opinion in Biotechnology, Accepted.
- Bhan N, Xu P, Khalidi O and Koffas MAG. (2013) Redirecting carbon flux into Malonyl-CoA to improve Resveratrol titers: Proof of concept for genetic interventions predicted by OptForce computational framework. Chemical Engineering Science, Accepted manuscript, In press
- Xu P and Koffas MA. (2013) Assembly of multi-gene pathways and combinatorial pathway libraries through ePathBrick vectors. Book chapter in Methods in Molecular Biology: Synthetic Biology.
- Xu, Peng; Bhan, Namita; Koffas, Mattheos A.G. (2013) Engineering plant metabolism into microbes: from systems biology to synthetic biology. Current Opinion in Biotechnology, 24(2), pp 291-299. PDF
- Xu, Peng; Vansiri, Amerin; Bhan, Namita; Koffas, Mattheos A.G. (2012) ePathBrick: A synthetic biology platform for engineering metabolic pathways in E. coli. ACS Synthetic Biology,1 (7), pp 256–266.PDF
- Xu, Peng; Ranganathan, Sridhar; Fowler, Zachary; Maranas, Costas D.; Koffas, Mattheos A.G. (2011) Genome-scale metabolic network modeling results in minimal interventions that cooperatively force carbon flux towards malonyl-CoA. Metabolic Engineering, Volume: 13 Issue: 5 Pages: 578-587. PDF
- Xu, Peng; Koffas, Mattheos A. G. (2010) Metabolic engineering of Escherichia coli for biofuel production, Biofuels, Volume: 1 Issue: 3 Pages: 493-504. PDF
- Zhang, Liang; Ding, Zhongyang; Xu, Peng; et al. (2011) Methyl lucidenate F isolated from the ethanol-soluble-acidic components of Ganoderma lucidum is a novel tyrosinase inhibitor,Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, Volume: 16 Issue: 3 Pages: 457-461. PDF
- Xu, Peng; Ding, ZY; Qian, Z; et al. (2008) Improved production of mycelial biomass and ganoderic acid by submerged culture of Ganoderma lucidum SB97 using complex media, Enzyme and Microbial Technology, Volume: 42 Issue: 4 Pages: 325-331. PDF
- Zhang, TX; Xu, P; Sun, J; et al. (2009) Identification of Biological Wort Turbidity Caused by Microbial Contamination of Gairdner Barley, Journal of the American Society of Brewing Chemists, Volume: 67 Issue: 1 Pages: 33-37