Wikiomics:Site Directed Mutagenesis
This page is beta. please feel free to update it.
The idea here is to create a flow of work to simulate the point mutation of a single amino acid in a protein.
- First step is to choose your target. (This is up to you.)
- Finding the nucleic sequence (ENTREZ)
- What type of mutation will be introduced ? (substitution / deletion / addition)
- Can we find the wanted mutation in other related proteins ? (Blast)
- How conserved is the protein we wish to mutate ?
- Does the w.t. protein have a known 3D structure ? (Check PDB)
- If not, check out STRUCTURE PREDICTION FLOWCHART
- What are the known domains inside our protein ?
- see Wikiomics:Searching for 3D functional sites in a protein structure
- Where is the Active Site ? (SARIG)
- What is the location of the mutation? (surface / inside the protein)
- What impact does the mutation have on the protein? (no backbone changes yet)
- If the protein is a multiple subunit protein - what are the subunit interaction residues ? (CSU)