(Difference between revisions)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
These protocols are used to screen for Xylan degradation on agarose plates, and measure
These protocols are used to screen for Xylan degradation on agarose plates, and measure activity.
Revision as of 08:57, 17 August 2011
These protocols are used to screen for Xylan degradation on agarose plates, and measure xylanase activity.
- 2.5g Xylan
- 2.5g RBB (Remazol Brilliant Blue)
- 60ml Water
- 20ml Sodium Hydroxide Solution (1.5g in 20ml)
- 20ml Sodium Acetate Solution (0.675g in 20ml)
- 200ml 96% Ethanol
- 1L Wash solution (660ml Ethanol, 330ml Water, 1.35g Sodium Acetate)
Preparing the Dyed Xylan
- Add 2.5g RBB dye and 2.5g Xylan to 60 ml Water.
- Add 20ml Sodium Acetate solution to RBB-Xylan solution.
- Add dropwise over 5 minutes while stirring at room temp.
- After mixing add 20ml Sodium Hydroxide solution.
- Stir for 90 minutes at room temperature.
- Add two volumes of 96% Ethanol to precipitate the xylan-RBB.
- Filter using a vacuum flask and watman filter paper.
- Wash the precipitate sequentially with 1L of wash solution.
- The filtrate should now be colorless.
- Wash the precipitate with 100ml 75% Ethanol.
- Wash the precipitate with 50ml Acetone.
- Dry at room temp.
- Added to the plates is 1% RBB-Xylan weight per volume.