This experiment was done in order to determine the acid dissociation constant of methyl red indicator.
- Methyl Red indicator
- Buffers at various pH levels
- pH meter
- UV spectrophotometer
- Use premade buffers of various levels (pH 3.82, 4.35, 4.91, 6.05, 6.76, 7.12, and 7.36).
- Add 150μL of methyl red to a cuvette. Add 1mL of a particular buffer to that cuvette.
- Measure the absorbance over a wide wavelength range using a spectrophotomer.
- Repeat for each buffer.
- Graph absorbance versus wavelength for each buffer.
Raw Data: Image:Buffers raw data.xls
- Note: Graph below is not normalized.
This experiment was done with High Point University student Jigesh Patel.