BIOL368/F14:Class Journal Week 2

From OpenWetWare

Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Chloe Jones

  1. The purpose of this assignment was to introduce us to the Aipoyu software, which allowed us to see the connection between Genetics, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Evolution. The assignment allowed us to see the same problem of trying to achieve a purple flower and it could be assessed differently by each discipline with the same goal in mind.
  2. What I learned from this assignment was there was a connection between the disciplines. Although we had different tasks of what to do in order to achieve a purple flower we all had to follow the same pattern as to how to approach the situation. I also got a review of Genetics and was able to orchestrate a purple flower with the help of a Punnet square. Observation was key in this assignment for the genetics portion and really helped me identify a conclusion.
  3. At first I was having a hard time trying to piece the connections between the alleles and genotypes, but after we went over the table and discussed it I thought it was fairly simple and straightforward. I think for the most part everything made sense with my Genetics portion. As for Molecular, and Biochemistry I didn’t specifically work on that part but it seemed understandable when my classmates went over it.

Electronic Lab Notebook

Weekly Assignments

Class Journals


Chloe Jones 03:46, 15 October 2014 (EDT)Chloe Jones

Nicole Anguiano

  1. The purpose of this assignment was to gain an introduction into the world of bioinformatics. We used the software Aipotu to explore the genetics, biochemistry, molecular biology, and evolution behind the colors of a flower's petals, providing an introduction to how the field of bioinformatics links genetics/genomics and software to foster scientific understanding.
  2. From this assignment, I learned that observation of phenotypes, genetic code, and amino acid sequences can help to create understanding about an unknown variable. In this case, creating a pure-breeding purple flower required observing the genetic sequences and amino acid sequences of the flowers available to me. Figuring out what made the green flowers caused by the combination of yellow and green alleles different from the pure-breeding green flowers helped to develop the pure-breeding purple flower. I also learned how to use the aipotu software, and also learned the basics of how bioinformatics works.
  3. The wording on the questions was often vague, and I had difficulty figuring out what specific section was being referred to when the questions were asked. I was unsure whether it was referring to the materials discussed in the pages prior to the questions, or if it was referring to the other sections of the program entirely. Outside of that, the only part I do not fully understand is how each of the individual parts (genetics, biochemistry, molecular biology, evolution) can be brought together using bioinformatics to gain a more specific understanding of the topic. It seems that, at the very least, the molecular biology and biochemistry sections overlap very heavily and come to the same conclusions using very similar methods. I am excited to see how they diverge and how everything ultimately comes together.

Nicole Anguiano
BIOL 368, Fall 2014

Assignment Links
Individual Journals
Class Journals


Nicole Anguiano 23:50, 9 September 2014 (EDT)

Isabel Gonzaga

  1. The purpose of this assignment was to introduce students to the various uses and range of possibilities for bioinformatics software. Students became familiar with Aipotu software and the variety of perspectives (genetics, biochemistry, molecular biology and evolution) that may be taken to approach a bioinformatics problem, and see how they come together to support the overall project in the end.
  2. I learned the relationships and connections between genetics, biochemistry, molecular biology and evolution. I also learned more about the method of experimentation used by biochemists in determining alleles. I was surprised to find that a large part of the biochemistry experimentation was by trial and error, and forming hypotheses based on careful and detailed observations.
  3. I feel like I understood this assignment fairly well. I am unsure if there was a more methodical way to do the biochemistry portion. I felt like I would sometimes have to try hundreds of different combinations before I could ‘disprove’ a hypothesis. It took me a while to understand some of the instructions because a lot of it was based on the prior labs, but once we went through together and defined the alleles I was able to finish without a problem.

Weekly Assignments

Class Journals

Electronic Lab Notebook

Isabel Gonzaga 20:57, 9 September 2014 (EDT)

Personal tools