Learn about the research cycle
Scientific Research Process & Publication Cycle - primary, secondary, and access (or tertiary) literature (Humboldt State University, February 6, 2008)
Peer Review in a Nutshell - "scientific quality control" (Science Media Centre, London, September 29, 2003)
Open Access Journal Literature (PennState World Campus, Terra Incognita, September 5, 2007)
Reference works (online or print) can be
used to acquire basic information
on an unfamiliar concept or to gather ideas for your topic.
Language of Science
Deciphering Medspeak - Medical Library Association
Melloni's Illustrated Medical Dictionary - Science Reference q R121 .D76 2002
Credo Reference - Medicine and Biology
Oxford Reference Online - Medicine - Advanced Search
College Library Catalog
- tip: in the library catalog, start with keyword > choose a useful book > Full Record tab - follow the subject links to find more on that topic
- tip: to see the subscription details for a print journal or serial ['Lib has'] > Full Record tab.
Find journal articles
The following databases provide either full-text articles or citations (information
about when and where the peer-reviewed article was published).
- Use the Find
It! @ Wellesleylink
from each citation to search one or more electronic journal sources or to search
our Library Catalog.
- If Wellesley College cannot access the article, use the 'Find It' link to Interlibrary Loan, which automatically links the requestor to a form to submit for either
- NExpress (several nearby libraries, often arrives in 2-3 days) or
- ILL (thousands of libraries worldwide, arrives in 2days - 2weeks).
Popular & scientific articles - great places to start your search
More databases - cover peer-reviewed articles
For individual help, please consult Science Librarian Neil Nero
What & How to Cite - Advice re: direct quotations, paraphrasing, and patchworking (Duke University Libraries)
CBE Name-Year System - Reference List (University of Wisconsin-Madison)
Use EndNote bibliographic management software to manage your references as you research your topic in the scientific databases.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
to Research Guides by Subject: Biological Sciences