LAB 5 WRITE-UP
Smart Phone Camera Settings
- Type of Smartphone: IPhone 6
- Flash: Off
- ISO setting: 8
- White Balance: Automatic
- Exposure: Automatic
- Saturation: Automatic
- Contrast: Automatic
- Open phone's camera
- Place upright in the cradle provided
- Adjust the distance from phone to the sample making sure the picture is in focus and the distance is greater than 4 cm away.
- Distance between the smart phone cradle and drop = 4.1 cm
Solutions Used for Calibration
Placing Samples onto the Fluorimeter
- 1. Pipet 80 milliliters of SYBR Green I solution in the middle of the 2 circles farthest away from the camera.
- 2. Pipet 80 milliliters of calibration solution onto the first drop.
- 3. Make sure the slide is lite by the blue light.
Representative Images of Negative and Positive Samples
Image J Values for All Calibrator Samples
||Raw IntDen Background
||Raw IntDen Drop- Background
PCR Results Summary
- Our positive control PCR result was 5 μg/mL
- Our negative control PCR result was 0 μg/mL
- Patient 73039 : The sample did not contain the allele so it did not glow green. The sample was observed to be 0 μg/mL.
- Patient 40429 : The sample did contain the allele so it glowed green. The sample was observed to be 2 μg/mL.
- Patient 73039 : This patient does not have coronary artery disease.
- Patient 40429 : This patient does have coronary artery disease.
SNP Information & Primer Design
Background: About the Disease SNP
The disease SNP is associated with lipoprotein lipase, which helps regulate phospholipase activity. It caused by a genetic mutation in the 8th chromosome. More specifically, in the 5' strand, changing AAT to AGT. As a result, it causes coronary artery disease in homo sapiens. Coronary artery disease, or heart disease, is one of the deadliest diseases in America.
Primer Design and Testing
At the end of the primer test, the non-diseased primer test gave a 220bp reading, while the diseased primer had no match.