- We developed an autonomous micrometer-sized molecular robot "DNA ciliate".
- DNA ciliate has three independent modes, switched according different situations.
- We designed and developed three devices to achieve our aim.
- We designed our original DNA device "UV-switching DNA".
- The three modes are based on the three devices.
- We confirmed the three modes of DNA ciliate.
- Back ground of our project, our motivation and goals of our project.
- Please see Introduction page.
- In order to complete our project, we developed three devices.
- On each of device page, we explained how we designed these devices and how to check the devices.
First device is DNA ciliate body. To construct micro-sized molecular robot, we attached many DNA probes to a micro-sized object.
- Second device is micrometer-sized track. Because our DNA ciliate is micrometer-sized, we can't use DNA origami landscape as the our robot's track. Instead, we made micrometer-sized track for DNA ciliate. This is micro-sized rail laid out substrate molecule of deoxyribozyme on DNA ciliate or UV-switching DNA. Moreover, we developed various shapes of the track. In this page, we explained how to made the track in any shape and how to fix DNA Devices on track.
- Third device is DNA Devices. In this page, we explained the interactions between deoxyribozyme of DNA ciliate and two DNA devices on tracks. The two DNA devices are substrate of deoxyribozyme and UV-switching DNA.
Please see each page of the devices or summary of the devices page.
- Corresponding to the different situations, DNA ciliate can switch three independent modes: the free moving mode, the tracks walking mode, the light-irradiated gathering mode.
- These three modes are based on our three devices. On each of mode page, we explained how to confirm these modes.
- The free moving mode is utilizing Brownian motion. We changed the size of DNA ciliate and observed the DNA ciliate movement by Brownian motion.
- The track walking mode is utilizing deoxyribozyme activity for substrate. We checked deoxyribozyme activity and simulated DNA ciliate's movement on micrometer-sized track and confirmed the track walking mode by simulation.
- The light-irradiated mode is utilizing UV-switching DNA. We checked the "UV-switching system" and confirmed DNA ciliate trapping at one spot.
Please see each page of modes or summary of the modes page.
- In the future, many functional molecular devices are installed in the DNA ciliate, and the DNA ciliate will become an ultimate functional molecular robot.
- Please see the Future works page