Notes for June 17, 2010
- See also: Data Citation Spreadsheet (File renamed to reflect other databases investigated with tabs for each database)
- Searching Pangaea today
- Goals after group chat today:
- Narrow down search terms.
- Start thinking about abstract for upcoming paper.
- Plan to move on to DAAC and GenBase (time permitting)
- After chat with Sarah, will create new spreadsheet based on her example and transfer appropriate data from previous spreadsheets.
- New test spreadsheet can be found here.
Resources searched with search terms and hit count for TreeBASE
- Resource: ISI Web of Science Search term(s): Cited Author=(Menkis A*) AND Cited Work=(PLOS GENET) AND Cited Year=(2008) Timespan=2008-2010. Databases=SCI-EXPANDED, SSCI, A&HCI, CPCI-S, CPCI-SSH. Results: 9
Resources searched with search terms and hit count for Pangaea
- Resource: ISI Web of Science Search term(s): Cited Author=(Stein R) AND Cited Work=(QUATERNARY SCI REV) AND Cited Year=(2004) Timespan=2008-2010. Databases=SCI-EXPANDED, SSCI, A&HCI, CPCI-S, CPCI-SSH. Results: 16
- Resource: ISI Web of Science Search term(s): Cited Author=(Riascos J*) AND Cited Year=(2008) Timespan=2008-2010. Databases=SCI-EXPANDED, SSCI, A&HCI, CPCI-S, CPCI-SSH Results: 1
- Valerie Enriquez 10:31, 17 June 2010 (EDT): In phase I search for Pangaea, had found a citation using the doi cited in an article as per my previous journal entry. However, since I had no way of confirming whether or not the data was reused in the 8 articles found without fulltext search, I made a note of coming back to that, moving onto the next doi citation I found:
- Stein, R et al. (2004): Distribution of grain size and clay minerals in surface sediments of the Kara Sea (Fig 4, 5). doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.119754,
- Supplement to: Stein, Ruediger; Dittmers, Klaus Hauke; Fahl, Kirsten; Kraus, Matthias; Matthiessen, Jens; Niessen, Frank; Pirrung, Michael; Polyakova, Ye I; Schoster, Frank; Steinke, Tatjana; Fütterer, Dieter K (2004): Arctic (palaeo) river discharge and environmental change: evidence from the Holocene Kara Sea sedimentary record. Quaternary Science Reviews, 23(11-13), 1485-1511, doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2003.12.004
- Valerie Enriquez 11:39, 17 June 2010 (EDT): This first search, while pulling more results, only seems to confirm my concern that searching for citation by principle investigator/author name will only find articles that cite the original article that drew from the data and not actually reusing the data directly. While Stein R is cited, the doi, if/when provided, is usually for the article here: doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2003.12.004 and not the data here: doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.119754
- I still need fulltext access to quite a few of the results, so I will return to this search once I do to confirm my findings.
- Valerie Enriquez 14:50, 17 June 2010 (EDT): Still returning to TreeBASE to find reuse of articles/data cited from phase I. Search constructed based on this citation found in TreeBASE under Legacy Study ID S1911:
- Menkis A., Jacobson D., Gustafsson T., & Johannesson H. 2008. The Mating-type Chromosome in the Filamentous Ascomycete Neurospora tetrasperma Represents a Model for Early Evolution of Sex Chromosomes. Plos Genetics, null.
- Have exported tab delimited .csv file as per Sarah's email message. Will merge data with other searches once column headings are set.
- Riascos, José; Laudien, Jürgen; Heilmayer, Olaf (2008): Gametogenic cycle of Mesodesma donacium in Hornitos (II Región) Chile between May 2005 and April 2007. Instituto de Investigaciones Oceanológicas, Universidad de Antofagasta, doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.695933
- The only article found using this search was an article by the same data author.
- Valerie Enriquez 17:24, 17 June 2010 (EDT): While I may be able to come up with a few standard search strings for each repository, the way that data from each repository is cited in various journal articles varies so much that it is not probable to find only one or a few general search strings that results in successful hits for all repositories. After going through my notes, I will make further recommendations on a by-repository basis. On a related note, my abstract will be constructed based on these findings.