- Evaluate ice affinity of bacterial capsular polysaccharides.
- Evaluate the use of metal rods as an alternative to the cold-finger apparatus
- Determine ice affinity by means of a cold-finger apparatus, as described by Ewert and Deming 2011  for dissolved extracellular polymeric substances (dEPS).
- This project is based on initial experiments with dissolved extracellular polysaccharides published in Ewert and Deming 2011 .
- Ewert, M., & Deming, J. W. (2011). Selective retention in saline ice of extracellular polysaccharides produced by the cold-adapted marine bacterium Colwellia psychrerythraea strain 34H. Annals of Glaciology, 52(57), 111-117.