'Eva Martinez, PhD'
“Epigenetic Deregulation by The Multiple Myeloma SET Domain Protein”
I obtained my PhD in Cell and Molecular Biology in Biochemistry Department of University of Navarra and in the Tumoral Microenvironmet Laboratory (CIMA). I studied the effects of nicotine in the differentiation of primary human bronchial epithelial cells towards a neuronal-like phenotype. In February 2008, I moved to Chicago to begin a postdoctoral fellowship in Dr. Licht’s laboratory. Here, I am studying the epigenetic deregulation by MMSET protein. Multiple Myeloma (MM), a neoplasm of plasma cells accounts for up to 10% of hematological malignancies. MMSET was identified at the breakpoint of translocation (4;14) present in 15% of MM. Due to this rearrangement, MMSET level is markedly elevated in t(4;14) myeloma and these patients have a worse prognosis than others.
1. Martinez-Garcia, E, Popovic, R, Sweet, S, Heffner, A, Thomas, P.M, Zamdborg, L, Min, DJ, Will, C, Lamy, L, Staudt L.M, Levens, D, Kelleher N.L and Licht, JD. “The MMSET Histone Methyl Transferase Switches Global Histone Methylation and Alters Gene Expression in t(4;14) Multiple Myeloma Cells”. Blood. doi:10.1182.
2. Martinez-Garcia E., Licht JD. “Deregulation of H3K27 methylation in cancer”. Nature Genetics. 2010 Feb; 42(2):100-1.
3. Martínez-García E., Irigoyen M, González-Moreno O, Corrales L, Teijeira A, Salvo E, Rouzaut, A. “Repetitive nicotine exposure leads to a more malignant and metastasis-prone phenotype of SCLC: a molecular insight into the importance of quitting smoking during treatment”. Toxicological Sciences 2010; doi: 10.1093/toxsci/kfq138.
4. Martinez-Garcia E, Licht JD “Atlas of Genetics and Cytogenetics in Oncology and Haematology: WHSC1 (Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome candidate 1)”. http://atlasgeneticsoncology.org//Genes/WHSC1ID42809ch4p16.html
5. Martínez-García E, Irigoyen M, Ansó E, Martínez-Irujo JJ, Rouzaut A. “Recurrent exposure to nicotine differentiates human bronchial epithelial cells via epidermal growth factor receptor activation”. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology. 2008 May 1;228(3):334-42. Epub 2007 Dec 23
6. Irigoyen M., Ansó E., Martínez E., Garayoa M., Martínez-Irujo JJ. and Rouzaut A. “Hypoxia alters the adhesive properties of lymphatic endothelial cells. A transcriptional and functional study”. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007 Jun;1773(6):880-90
Back to Jonathan Licht's Lab