Checking plates for colonies
- Today we retrieved our ampicillin and non-antibiotic plates from the oven and looked for colony growth on each plate. We found no colonies on the plates that were supposed to have our transformed Biobrick genes, (nor on the negative ampicillin control plate). There was growth - (a lot of it!) - on the other three plates, however: the positive control, the negative control on the non-amp plate, and the non-transformed competent cells on the non-amp plate. This indicates that there were no problems with the plates themselves and that the competent cells were indeed alive to begin with. A possible reason that the positive control grew but none of the Biobrick transformations did could be that we added the wrong water to the gene tubes - (normal distilled H2O) - but added the special sterilized water to the positive control. It obviously wasn't the process of transformation itself that demolished our cells, for both controls grew strong colonies.