First Day Brainstorming Ideas!
- TNT (other carbon chemicals?)
- Pathogens – difficult as need mammalian cells for antibodies, could combine existing tests in one bacterium/device
- “So that you can smell cancer...” :-S
- Use bacterial redopsin, power flagella
- Specific chemotaxis/response to pH
- Compile adder – done by previous team
- Calculator (solving differential equations?)
- pH and indicator
- Colour protein (like GFP)
- Voltage? Need to be able to line up bacteria – directionality given in E.coli by nanobrain (attach to mechanism for its positioning)
- Improve secretion mechanism from E.coli
- Interface biological and electrical systems
- Identifying carcinogens (like Phillip Oliver’s work) – already well developed
- Digest urea in swimming pools, so no need for chlorine etc
- Bio-clock – need reliable biological oscillator
- Targeted delivery
- Active sun cream – displays colour after threshold UV exposure, colour goes if more applied, could produce and release melanin?
- Hair colouring shampoo – fluorescent proteins, can be marketed as “organic”!
- Chameleon bacteria?
Rebecca Koenigsberg-Miles 22:23, 8 July 2008 (UTC):
The Serious Stuff!
Chris, Rebecca, Marie, Ellis
Linda, Arjun, Hugo
Xiao-Hu, Daniel, Kevin, Arjun
Kathryn, Dmitry, Ian
Daniel, LInda, Kevin, Xiao-Hu
Dmitriy, James, Ellis, Ian, Arjun
- Mini-review - "Carbon monoxide-dependent energy metabolism in anaerobic bacteria and archaea ' - DOI: 10.1007/s00203-008-0382-6 - James Wu 00:23, 10 July 2008 (UTC)
How to carry out our project?
There were three different options concerning the organisation of our team :
- Conduct three equal projects (not directly linked) and try to present each of them at the end
- Choose only two projects which could be linked
- Choose a main project and continue investigating on the two others (to check which projects are really doable in 10 weeks)
We prefer having one global idea. However, at this stage, all different ideas are potentially good. We chose to continue to investigate on these three projects for a few weeks to see which (or which of them) would be the best.
There will be more people investigating on Turing patterns which should be our main project, and two smaller teams investigating on the two other projects.
|| Non biologists
| Turing Patterns || Kevin, Daniel, Linda, James || Xiao-Hu, Ian, Marie
| Voltage Output || Ellis, Chris || Rebecca
| Magnetic || Kathryn, Dmitriy || Arjun
How to link our different subject?
- Bactobrain : Modelling neural system (stimulating APs, Glutamate NT, vesicles, turing development)
- Waste detection, vesicular packaging and disposal, turng differentiation (or anything)
- Modelling eukaryotic systems (ions signalling, differentiation, organelle biosynthesis)