We are in Week 4 of the iGEM project.
- A modelling lecture and tutorial were presented today.
- It was suggested that more work be done individually on building proficiency in the modelling language, Cell Designer.
- Start modelling the constructs employed in the projects so far - build a database of modelled constructs.
Needed for Lab
Ideally, the following issues need to be finalized, before commencing with experimentation.
- List of equipment required
- List of items to autoclave (due to reduction in availability of this service between 3rd and 13th August)
- List of media recipes involved
A document containing the above should be submitted to the laboratory staff by 9 am, 1 August 2007.
The following constitute the tasks undertaken today by the HRP team.
- Expansion of protocols for HRP experiments
- Formulation of idea on how to characterize HRP: based upon the well-documented F2620 part in the registry. It was also suggested that alternative means of characterization be explored.
- Investigation of calibration of output (GFP per CFU per second)
The following points were raised during the debrief:
- Own Extract? Initially, this team suggested that an extract prepared by GENEArt would be utilized. However, it was also suggested that such prepared extracts are usually optimized, meaning that degradation rates of proteins are considerably reduced.
- Suggestions were also made regarding the possibility of adding proteases to the cell-extract to mimick the conditions, which would be exhibited if the extract were prepared by the team itself.
- A concrete decision regarding the nature of the In-Vitro extract should be made after the vesicle presentation, taking place on Wednesday, 1 August 2007.
Issues raised during discussion of this system.
- Although this project sets out to "prove a concept/principle", the credibility of the project would be increased greatly if detection of actual E Coli biofilm could be performed.
- Evidently the biofilm would need to employ an AHL communication mechanism; on which the biofilm detector is founded. In other words, investigate whether this is in fact the case: research/review new/posted literature.
The group suggested that a peer review be conducted within the near future. The purpose of which is evidently to critique fellow projects and also review whether initial project specifications have been adhered to. Suggestions are being taken on a possible evaluation method.
Particular issues raised by demonstrators
- A concrete and complete list of constructs to be built, has to be made available as soon as possible. Such a list should be posted on the wiki, allowing members of the group to proof-read its contents.
- Following an enquiry into the possibility of having lunch in the Senior Common Room (SCR), a resolution was achieved, in which lunch vouchers to the value of £4 would be made available daily to each member of the group. These could then be utilized anywhere on-campus, including the SCR.
- Contact with other iGEM teams should be made, especially with those from the UK (namely Cambridge, Edinburgh and Glasgow). It was also mentioned that the Paris team had shown an interest in attending such a meeting.