Friday June 22, 2007
- George's paper presentation
- Observed multiple pink colonies of RFP-transformed (Z-competent) cells on agar plate.
- Observed pinkish broth that was left in shaker incubator overnight @ ~36.5 +/- 0.5 degrees C. Unable to excite red fluorescence with standard long wave UV light (which is optimal for GFP excitation).
- Cryogenic freezing of transformed cells from broth (DH5alpha E. coli)
- 1 mL of glycerol
- 1 mL of cell-containing broth
- Filled cryogenic tube (2 mL total)
- Vortexed at level 6 for ~ 6-10 secs
- Making broth from transformed Z-competent cells
- 5 mL of LB broth
- Added scraping of cells to broth (use sterilized wire-loop)
- Vortexed at level 6 for ~6-10 secs
- Incubated in shaker @ ~36.5 +/- 0.5 degrees C.
- Detailed research in photosignalling systems and other possible photoreceptors/ photosensors.
- (Next week's paper presentations will focus on photobiology of microorganisms)