Sign-up for equipment usage
- For heavily used equipment (Microscope, deep-well plate shakers), please sign-up in advance
- Do not leave items in the sink while bleaching.
- Small items can be bleached on benchtop.
- Large/many items can be bleached in fume hood and rinsed within 24 hours.
- Clear all items from the sink area within 24 hours
- Dry gel trays next to gel viewer away from ddH2O cord
- Wipe down counter to keep area clean and dry
- Soap and bleach refills are in cabinets under sink and water baths
Media Making Station
- Put all reagents back after use
- Clean up any spills
- Make sure recipe book is neatly arranged
- Throw away any trash
- Clean balances after use
- Don't leave spatulas lying around
- Put reagents back after use
- Throw away any weighing papers/trays
- Throw waway any trash, even if it's someone else's mess
- Turn on with probe still in buffer
- Remove probe from buffer and rinse with ddH2O into rinse waste collection container
- Measure pH
- Rinse again after use
- Replace probe in buffer before turning off
- Empty rinse waste collection container
- Clean up any mess you make
After running gel electrophoresis
- Turn off the UV lamp in the imager. Remove the pipette tip from the safety trigger.
- Remove the gel from the imager. To recycle the agarose gel, place it in one of the two designated 500mL containers (with purple caps) located in the gel area.
- To dispose the agarose gel, dump it into the five gallon black gel solid waste container located on the ground near the -80 freezer.
- Dispose the plastic wrap into regular biological waste and razor blade into the bench-top red sharps container.
- Used electrophoresis buffer can be directly dumped into the sink. To reuse the buffer, leave it in the gel box and cover the gel box to prevent evaporation.
- Rinse the plastic gel tray and dry it in the sink area.
- Measuring cylinders filled with buffer should be cover by Parafilm to prevent evaporation. Remove any empty measuring cylinders from the area.
- Clean up any spills immediately.
- Remove the microplate from the platereader after use. Don’t leave used microplates in the surrounding area.
- Please DO NOT grow (with shaking) your cell cultures in the platereader. The platereader is not designed for cell culturing.