- Add ddH2O to a tube (usually 20 μL total volume).
- Add BSA (provided as 100x concentrate) if necessary.
- Add the appropriate restriction digest buffer (provided as 10x concentrate).
- Add DNA (plasmid / PCR product).
- Add restriction enzyme(s) to the tube. Mix well by pipetting. The volume of restriction enzymes added should be less than 5% of the total volume.
- Incubate at the appropriate temperature (usually 37°C) for the required time.
The New England Biolabs website provides useful information on restriction digestion.