Maloof Lab:Christine.M.Palmer CV
Department of Plant Biology
1 Shields Ave
University of California, Davis
Davis, CA 95616
2011 Ph.D. Biology, Dartmouth College. Hanover, NH
2006 M.S. Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, PA
2002 B.A. Biology, Williams College. Williamstown, MA
2011-present Postdoctoral Researcher, University of California, Davis, CA
- Advisor: Dr. Julin Maloof
- Research: Quantitative genetics of shade avoidance in plants
2013-present Field Research Leader, White Mountain Research Station, White Mountains, CA
- GLORIA project, Global Observation Research Initiative in Alpine Environments
- Research: Climate change impacts on the ecology of high mountain plants
2013 Field Researcher, U.S. Forest Service
- Investigator: Dr. Malcolm North
- Research: Effect of fire on forest understory herb and shrub communities
2006-2011 Graduate Student, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
- Advisor: Dr. Mary Lou Guerinot
- Ph.D. Thesis: Regulation of the iron deficiency response in Arabidopsis
2003-2006 Graduate Student, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Advisor: Dr. Mitchell Lazar
- M.S. Thesis: A novel interaction between the mammalian corepressor SMRT and the DNA-dependent protein kinase
2002-2003 Research Assistant, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ
- Advisors: Dr. Stanley Faeth, Dr. Lokesh Joshi
- Research: Ecology of native bunchgrass and endophytic fungus
- Research: Production of therapeutic compounds in Nicotiana sp.
2001-2002 Undergraduate Honors Thesis, Williams College, Williamstown, MA
- Advisor: Dr. Marta Laskowski
- Thesis: Characterization of an auxin-induced F-box protein in Arabidopsis
2000-2001 Undergraduate Research, Williams College, Williamstown, MA
- Advisor: Dr. Joan Edwards
- Research: Impact of the invasive species Alliaria petiolata on native plants
- Research: Influence of self- and cross-fertilization on pollen tube development
2013-present Research Mentor, University of California, Davis
- Plant Biology, Undergraduate: Megan Choi, Edna Chen
- Young Scholar Program, High School: Kisha Thayapran
2013-present Guest Lecturer, University of California, Davis
- Plant Developmental Biology
- Comparative Genomics
2013-present Mentor, High School
- Da Vinci Charter Academy, Environmental Science
- Center for Land Based Learning-SLEWS, Habitat restoration
2012-present Instructor, Pioneer High School, Woodland, CA
- Methods in DNA, AP Biology students
2012 Science Mentor (online), American Society of Plant Biologists
- Master Plant Science Team, Various high schools nationwide
2012 Instructor, University of California, Davis
- Techniques in proteins, Summer Intern Program
2008-2011 Research Mentor, Dartmouth College
- MCB Program Graduate: Maria Hindt and Jessica Weng
- Women in Science Undergraduate: Tara Henn
- Presidential Scholars Undergraduates: Zieanna Chang and Adi Rattner
- Honors Program Undergraduate: Ilda Bajraktari
- SURF Program Undergraduate: Sean Beckwith (Carleton College)
2009 Teacher Training Workshop Series, Dartmouth College
2007 Teaching Assistant, Dartmouth College
- Genetics Supervisor: Dr. Patrick Dolph
2005 Teaching Assistant, University of Pennsylvania
- Genetics (Postbacc) Supervisor: Dr. Jean Labriola Scholz
2000-2001 Teaching Assistant, Williams College
- Genetics Supervisor: Dr. Marsha Altschuler
- Ecology Supervisor: Dr. Joan Edwards
Awards and Honors
- 2013 UC Davis Postdoctoral Scholars Association Travel Grant
- 2012-2013 Professors For The Future Fellowship, University of California, Davis
- 2011 Sigma Xi Full Membership
- 2010 Dartmouth College Arts and Sciences Graduate Travel Award
- 2007-2009 Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA Biochemistry Training Grant T32-GM008704
- 2007-2010 Outstanding Graduate Student Teacher Award, Dartmouth College (3 awards)
- 2006-2007 GAANN Fellowship, U.S. Department of Education
- 2005-2006 Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA Genetics Training Grant T32-GM07229
- 2003-2005 Cell and Molecular Biology Training Grant, University of Pennsylvania
- 2002 Sigma Xi Associate Membership
- 2001 Nathaniel Lawrence Travel Fellowship, Williams College
- 2000 Howard Hughes Medical Institute Undergraduate Research Fellowship
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Palmer CM, Hindt MN, Schmidt H, Clemens S, Guerinot ML. MYB10 and MYB72 are required for growth under iron-limiting conditions. 2013. PLoS Genetics 9(11):e1003953.
- Maloof JN, Nozue K, Mumbach MR, Palmer CM. 2013. LeafJ: an ImageJ plugin for semi-automated leaf shape measurements. Journal of Visualized Experiments. (71)
- Palmer CM, Bush SM, Maloof JN. Phenotypic and developmental plasticity in plants. In: eLS 2012. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester.
- Palmer CM, Guerinot ML. 2009. Facing the challenges of Cu, Fe and Zn homeostasis in plants. Nature Chemical Biology (5): 333-40.
- Argyros RD, Mathews DE, Chiang YH, Palmer CM, Thibault DM, Etheridge N, Argyros DA, Mason MG, Kieber JJ, Schaller GE. 2008. Type B response regulators of Arabidopsis play key roles in cytokinin signaling and plant development. Plant Cell (8): 2102-16.
- Yu J, Palmer C, Alenghat T, Li Y, Kao G, Lazar MA. 2006. The corepressor silencing mediator for retinoid and thyroid hormone receptor facilitates cellular recovery from DNA double-strand breaks. Cancer Research (18): 9316-22.
Posters and Presentations
- Palmer CM. New perspectives on shade avoidance. 2014. International Plant and Animal Genome Conference. San Diego, CA.
- Palmer CM, Choi M*, Maloof JN. Identifying Causal Genes from Genome Wide Association Studies of Shade Avoidance in Plants. 2014. International Plant and Animal Genome Conference. San Diego, CA.
- Palmer CM, Chao D, Salt DE, Guerinot ML. Natural genetic variation in selected populations of Arabidopsis thaliana is associated with differences in arsenic accumulation. 2010. Superfund Research Conference. Portland, OR.
- Palmer CM, Guerinot ML. MYB10 and MYB72 are required for survival under iron deficiency. 2010. FASEB Conference: Trace Elements in Biology and Medicine. Snowmass, CO.
- Palmer CM, Guerinot ML. MYB10 and MYB72 are required for survival under iron deficiency. 2009. Dartmouth Molecular and Cellular Biology Graduate Program Retreat. Whitefield, NH.
- Palmer CM, Lahner B, Salt DE, Guerinot ML. MYB10 and MYB72 play a redundant role in the iron deficiency response. 2008. Gordon Conference: Plant Molecular Biology. Holderness, NH.
- Palmer CM, Lahner B, Salt DE, Guerinot ML. MYB10 and MYB72 play a redundant role in the iron deficiency response. 2008. Dartmouth Molecular and Cellular Biology Graduate Program Retreat. Whitefield, NH.
- Yu J, Palmer C, Alenghat T, Li Y, Kao G, Lazar MA. The corepressor silencing mediator for retinoid and thyroid hormone receptor facilitates cellular recovery from DNA double- strand breaks. 2006. Keystone Symposia: Nuclear Receptors. Banff, Alberta.