- A strong base
- Stock solutions are 5 N and 1 N
- Molecular weight 40.00
- Exothermic reaction on solution
- Stock solutions should be stored in plastic bottles, rather than glass.
- Glass bottles are etched by strong bases over long periods of time.
- Stock solutions absorb carbon dioxide from the air, and gradually become neutralized.
- Check normality every year, or remake solutions.
- Very caustic, wear gloves during use. Wash extensively if spilled. A soap-like feel indicates that your skin has come in contact with the solution.
- Neutralize with acid prior to disposal down the drain.