- a portion or division of a whole that is separate or distinct; piece, fragment, fraction, or section; constituent: the rear part of the house; to glue the two parts together.
- a constituent piece of a machine or tool either included at the time of manufacture or set in place as a replacement for the original piece.
- a constituent part; element; ingredient.
- a part of a mechanical or electrical system: hi-fi components.
- Distinguish parts which are significant from a design standpoint to fragments (broken glass example)
- Atomic theory, example of IBM spelled out in Xenon atoms with AFM.
- Examples of parts
- Chemistry (functional groups) (reactions)
- Mechanics (screws)
- Electronics (resistors)
- decomposition of complex structures into simpler pieces
- different ways to decompose depending on the goal
- example: mechanical system (support structure) (power transfer)
- Structural composition
- Functional composition
Interfaces and standards
- standard methods of connecting one part to another
- lego blocks
- electrical wiring
- Black boxes
- interfaces between boxes
- modularity in service of facile change
Applying the notion of parts to biology