Dissolving Silk in LiBr
- Prepare 9.3 M LiBr
- molecular weight of LiBr: 86.85 g/mol
- Important: The LiBr will increase the volume of solution significantly, so fill up the container with 60% of your volume of water, then add the weighed LiBr, then fill the remainder of the water up to your desired volume.
- Important: LiBr is extremely hygroscopic (absorbs moisture), so do not let it sit out uncovered for too long.
- Important: LiBr dissolving in water is very exothermic. If dissolving large quantities of LiBr, it might be a good idea to have some ice on hand to cool down the container
- Mix silk and LiBr according to the ratio (1 g silk : 4 mL LiBr (9.3M))
- Use as small of a container as possible
- Fluff the silk as much as possible before placing into container
- Put silk in the container before the LiBr
- Bake at 60 celcius for 4 hours
- May take longer, depending on various factors.