- Run UV-Vis and AA on room temperature 30:1 lysozyme-AuNP samples from 3/26/14.
- Run conductivity on pure variables at room temperature.
Conductivity Measurement of Pure Variables at Room Temperature
- Water was added to sample in order to increase the volume above 11ml. This was done because 11ml of solution was needed in order for the detector to measure the conductivity of the sample.
- Please note that these conductivity values are not corrected for their dilution factor. The true conductivity of these solutions must be further back-calculated.
- Note that MES and 2,2 Bipyridine have reduced conductivity values. This is because other variables are ions, thus further increase this measurement. This may overwhelm observed effects.
Atomic Absorption Preparation
Creating the Gold Stock Solutions
- Add 50 μL of HAuCl4·3H2O and 4950 μL of distilled water to a Falcon tube, for a final concentration of 10 μg/mL Au.
- Add 100 μL of HAuCl4·3H2O and 4900 μL of distilled water to a Falcon tube, for a final concentration of 20 μg/mL Au.
- Add 150 μL of HAuCl4·3H2O and 4850 μL of distilled water to a Falcon tube, for a final concentration of 30 μg/mL Au.
- Add 200 μL of HAuCl4·3H2O and 4800 μL of distilled water to a Falcon tube, for a final concentration of 40 μg/mL Au.
- Add 250 μL of HAuCl4·3H2O and 4750 μL of distilled water to a Falcon tube, for a final concentration of 50 μg/mL Au.
Atomic Absorption Samples
Solutions with the following Au:lysozyme ratio at room temperature were run on the AA:
- 30:1 lysozyme-AuNP with 0.03 M MgCl2, CaCl2, NaCl, KCl, MES, citric acid (0.0002316 M 2,2 bipyridine)
- 30:1 lysozyme-AuNP with 0.06 M MgCl2, CaCl2, NaCl, KCl, MES, citric acid (0.0004544 M 2,2 bipyridine)
- 30:1 lysozyme-AuNP with 0.09 M MgCl2, CaCl2, NaCl, KCl, MES, citric acid (0.0006772 M 2,2 bipyridine)
- AS SEEN IN THIS GRAPH MES IS THE ONLY VARIABLE THAT CAUSES AN INCREASE IN AMOUNT OF GOLD IN SOLUTION AS THE CONCENTRATION VARIABLE INCREASES. THIS WAS UNEXPECTED BECAUSE MES IN THE PAST HAS CAUSED FIBERS TO FALL OUT OF SOLUTION, AND THEY DID FALL OUT OF SOLUTION IN THIS CASE. ALSO CACL2 WAS SLIGHTLY ODD BECAUSE THE AMOUNT OF GOLD IN SOLUTION INCREASE FOR THE 60:1 VARIABLE. THE VARIABILITY COULD JUST BE DUE TO THE FACT THAT SO LITTLE GOLD IS IN SOLUTION THAT SLIGHT DIFFERENCES IN NEGLIGIBLE AMOUNTS ARE BEING OBSERVED. ALL OTHER VARIABLES FOLLOW THE EXPECTED TREND THAT  OF GOLD DECREASES AS THE CONCENTRATION OF VARIABLE INCREASES.
- Please note that the 30:1 control imaged was properly diluted before analysis.
- PLEASE NOTE, DUE TO THE LOW AMOUNT OF AUNP'S IN SOLUTION THE UNCERTAINTY IN THE INSTRUMENT PLAYS A SIGNIFICANT ROLE IN MEASUREMENTS ESPECIALLY SINCE THE PERCENTAGES ARE SO SMALL. AS A RESULT, THE TRENDS SHOULD BE TAKEN WITH A GRAIN OF SALT WHERE PERCENTAGES ARE VERY CLOSE.