Tasks for February 3rd
- Oxidation of benzhydrol with H2O2 in the presence of colloidal gold nanoparticles
20 mol% of gold nanoparticles are to be added through septum to a mixture of diphenylcarbinol (1mmol)and H2O2 (1mmol) in ethanol (3 mL) under close atmosphere.
- Hydrogen peroxide:
- (0.3g H2O2/g total)(1.135g total/1mL)(1mol H2O2/34.015 g H2O2)=10.01 M H2O2
- v1=0.333 mL of H2O2
- 0.001 mol×(184.33g/mol)×3.33=0.614 g benzhydrol in 10 mL volumetric flask, made up to the mark with ethanol
- 3 mL of the mixture were added to a 10 mL round bottom flask and placed under septum in nitrogen atmosphere. Additionally, the round bottom flask was placed in a silica oil bath at 70°C overnight. 1 mL of colloidal gold-lys solution was injected into the sealed round bottom flask using a syringe.
Drying of the 45:1 Gold-Lysozyme fibers
As described by Jacob Esenther,
- Dry the weigh boats
- In order to accurately weigh the gold nanofibers we need to get rid of all the water on the weigh boats. The weigh boats are being dried over night. We are doing this by evaporation in a vacuum oven. Instructions for the vacuum oven are as follows:
- Set the Temperature to the first notch, keeping it low so the plastic doesn't melt
- Close the vent
- Open the vacuum
- Turn the oven on
- Turn the vacuum on
- If the pressure gauge does not move, you must push on the door until the vacuum is able to hold the door closed on its own.
- Drying the Nanofibers will take place tomorrow