- to make stock solutions of HAuCl4 and BSA.
- to make 14 differently concentrated HAuCl4 and BSA mixtures.
- Calculations were made to determine how much HAuCl4 was required to make 25mL of 10mM stock solution.
- Calculations were made to determine how much BSA was required to make 10mL of 15μM stock solution.
- The appropriate amounts of HAuCl4 and BSA were massed separately and added to separate test tubes.
- The appropriate amount of H2O were added to each test tube. (25mL to the HAuCl4 test tube and 10mL to the BSA test tube.)
- The test tubes were covered with parafilm.
- The test tube containing HAuCl4 was also completely covered in aluminum foil.
- Then, using the m1v1=m2v2 equation, the amount of each stock solution required to make 4mL mixtures with the Au3+/BSA concentration ratio of 60μM, 80μM, 100μM, 120μM, 128μM, 130μM, 132μM, 133μM, 134μM, 136μM, 138μM, 140μM, 160μM, and 170μM.
- After the amounts of each stock solution was determined, the appropriate amounts of HAuCl4, BSA, and H2O were added to each test tube.
- The test tubes were capped, covered in aluminum foil, labeled, and placed in the oven at 85°C at 4 hours.
Data and Calculations
FW HAuCl4: 393.83 g/mol
Theoretical Concentration of Stock: 10mM
Volume of Stock: 25mL
25mL × 10-3 L/mL × 10mM × 10-3 mol/mmol × 393.83 g/mol = 0.0985 g HAuCl4
Measured Mass: 0.0971 g HAuCl4
Calculated Concentration: 9862 μM
0.0971g × (1/393.83 g/mol) × (1/25E-3 L) × 106 μM/mol = 9862 μM
FW BSA: 66430 g/mol
Theoretical Concentration of Stock: 15μM
Volume of Stock: 10mL
10mL × 10-3 L/mL × 15μM × 10-6 mol/mmol × 66430 g/mol = 0.00996 g BSA
Measured Mass: 0.0105 g BSA
Calculated Concentration: 15.806 μM
0.0105g × (1/66430 g/mol) × (1/10E-3 L) × 106 μM/mol = 15.806 μM
- Volumes of HAuCl4, BSA, H2 required for various 4mL HAuCl4/BSA mixtures
|uM Ratio [Au/BSA]
| BSA||HAuCl4||BSA [μL]||HAuCl4||H2O [mL]
| ||4341.75||Total uL
- The stocks were made with the incorrect concentrations, so the reaction did not occur properly.
- The stocks were made without the parafilm protection on the spatula.
Image of the Solutions Produced
- All the solutions from August 29, ranging from 60μM to 170μM Au/BSA concentration. The solution was made without the parafilmed spatula. THe solution spent 4 hours in a 85°C oven.