User:Jenna Wiegand

From OpenWetWare

Jump to: navigation, search

I am a new member of OpenWetWare!

Contents

Contact Info

Jenna Wiegand (an artistic interpretation)
Jenna Wiegand (an artistic interpretation)

I work in the Your Lab at XYZ University. I learned about OpenWetWare from Lab instructor, and I've joined because I need to have access to this website for my BIO-210 lab class!!.

Education

Currently a Sophomore at American University. Majoring in Environmental Science with a minor in Biology.

Research interests

1) Water quality 2) Animal Behavior


Lab Notebook

Lab Notebook Entry #1 for 1/13/2016 lab period

  • 1) Created slides and observed Chlamydomonas, Gonium and Volvox under a microscope to find different characteristics.
  • 2) Created a hay infusion culture by placing 12 grams of the soil/ground sample in a plastic jar with 0.1 grams of dried milk, with 500 mLs of deer park water.*2) Visited our transect, a 20X20 piece of land that we will be monitoring for a few weeks.
  • 3) Went and observed transect, identified biotic and abiotic factors of the area and cataloged what type of life was present.
   * Abiotic factors: concrete sidewalk. light pole, cigarette buds, rocks, plastic liner under the mulch
   * Biotic Factors: Big trees, medium trees, low brush, spider, bushes
  • Brief Description of transect: Our transect was located behind the amphitheater, near the main roadway that goes under Bender Arena. In our transect we found many trees, low brush, dead leaves, newly growing trees, and a few types of bugs, mostly spiders. There were a few low lying hills that were covered with biotic factors. There were a few rocks scattered under the leaf liter and mulch. Under the mulch there was a plastic based canvas to prevent too many weeds from coming up. There are three lamp posts on our transect.

Photo of Transect from Google Maps: Image:Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 2.29.18 PM.png

Photo of Transect that was Hand drawn:Image:IMG 2275.JPG

Photos of Transect: Image:IMG 2300.JPG Image:IMG 2301.JPG

JW

Lab Entry #2 for 1/20/2015 lab period

Observations:

  • Smell: wet mulch *it looks like a bunch of lightly decomposing leaves. There is a film on top that jiggles when shaken, but goes back in place
  • film of mold/life on top, no apparent green shoots. *The life could potentially be different when its closer to plant life due to the higher amount of cells needed to decompose the plants.
  • Two chosen niches: top of the water level and the bottom of the jar

Photos of Hay Infusion: Image:IMG 1232.JPG, Image:IMG 1234.JPG

  • Life found in Top Layer of Infusion:
  • 1) Peranema: (100 μM) motile, no photosynthesis
  • 2) Arcella (90 μM) non motile, no photosynthesis
  • 3) Oedogonium: (70 μM), non motile, photosynthesis

Photo of Peranema, Arcella and Oedogonium Image:IMG 2040.JPG

  • Life Found in Bottom Layer of Infusion:
  • 1) Colpidium (50 μM)- motile, no photosynthesis
  • 2) Oedogonium: (70μM), non motile, photosynthesis
  • 3) Colpidium: (30μM), motile, no photosynthesis

Photo of Colpidium and Oedogonium Image:Haybottom.jpg

  • Had the Hay infusion culture been allowed to grow for another two months, the organic matter would continue to decomposed by organisms found in the sample. Once everything was decomposed, there would be less food to eat so the organisms on the inside would continue to die until the water has no nutrients left.

Photo of Serial Dilution for the Hay Infusion: Image:IMG 1366.JPG

JW

Lab Entry #3 1/27/16

Hay Infusion Observations:

  • Water evaporated
  • The water is much darker
  • A lot more material on the bottom
  • Smells like manure
  • Hypothesis for change: Over the past week the material inside continued to decompose, this caused the build up in the bottom of the jar as well as the increased smell, darker water, and less solid material present.
  • Archaea is most likely not present in this sample. Archaea is most commonly found in extreme conditions, and our jar is not an example of extreme conditions. It has been held at room temperature for the past two weeks.

Table 1: 100-Fold Serial Dilutions Results Image:IMG 1367.JPG

  • There are differences in colony types with and without antibiotics. I believe that this indicates that the antibiotics worked and were able to stop colony growth in some types of bacteria, but were unable to do it for other types. The tetracycline has managed to drastically decrease the number of bacteria and fungi on the plates. There seemed to be quite a few species of bacteria on just the nutrient plate, it's hard to tell the exact number of bacteria that are unaffected by tetracycline without doing a DNA analysis on all of the colonies.

Photos of Plates: With Tetracycline: Image:IMG 2341.JPG Without Tetraycline: Image:IMG 2342.JPG

Useful links

Personal tools