I am a new member of OpenWetWare!
- Liang Zhao
- University of Science and Technology Beijing
- Research Center for BioEngineering and Sensing Technology Beijing
- No. 30, Xueyuan Rd.
- Beijing, China
- 2009, PhD, Nanjing University
- 2005, MS, Nanjing University
- 2003, BS, Nanjing Agriculture University
1# Single cell biology Single cell is the fundamental building brick of life. However, the majority understanding of cellular biology and genetics has been collected through the bulk experiment from large population of cells. Traditional method for single cell analysis have been limited by the cost and throughput required to pick up wanted individual cells from large number of cells and the difficulties coupled with analyzing small amounts of starting material. To address this fundamental biological issue with increasing precision, we should study the questions through the integration of various technologies with the capability of quantification.
2# Microfluidic chip Microfluidic chips represent a new opportunity for performing chemical or biological experiments at nanoliter scale with a unprecedented spatial and temporal control. This approach can be used to plumb single cell issues with several promising advantages such as scale compatibility of mammalian cells, friendly coupling of imaging process, flexibility of manipulating cells and automation. Therefore, my interests mainly focus on the single cell biological analysis in microfluidic device which can be coupled with other methods easily, such as chromatography, electrochemical detection, nano-materials based probing and even with single molecule experiment. Understanding the complex biological systems at single cell level is therefore one of the most pivotal mission in life science research.
3# RNA-Seq The second technology I have worked for recent years is single cell mRNA transcriptome sequencing. This application allow us interpreting the dynamic gene transcription networks during some specific biological events such as stem cell differentiation, cancer metastasis or programmed cell death. We developed a microfluidic approach to prepare cDNA from single cells for high-throughput transcriptome sequencing. The microfluidic platform facilitates single-cell manipulation, minimizes contamination, and furthermore, provides improved detection sensitivity and measurement precision, which is necessary for differentiating biological variability from technical noise. We recently published this work on PNAS (2014, 111, 7048-7053). This work is the most sensitive method for single cell RNA-seq so far. With only 0.2 M reads per cell, we can reconstruct the majority of transcriptome of bulk by using only 10 cells.
- Hao Zhou, Liang Zhao*, Xueji Zhang*, In-Channel Printing-Device Opening Assay for Micropatterning Multiple Cells and Gene Analysis. (*-corresponding author) Anal. Chem., Article ASAP, DOI: 10.1021/ac504823s, Publication Date (Web): January 29, 2015.
- Aaron M. Streets,# Xiannian Zhang,# Chen Cao, Yuhong Pang, Xinglong Wu, Liang Xiong, Lu Yang, Yusi Fu, Liang Zhao*, Fuchou Tang*, Yanyi Huang*, Microfluidic single-cell whole transcriptome sequencing. (*－Corresponding author, #－equally contribution), Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 111, (19), 7048-7053 (2014) . doi: 10.1073/pnas.1402030111.
- Liang Zhao†, Juntao Cao†, Zengqiang Wu, Jian-Xin Li, Jun-Jie Zhu, Lab-on-a-chip for anticancer drug screening using quantum dots probe based apoptosis assay. († - Co-first Author) J. Biomed. Nanotechnol.,2013, 9, 348-356. (IF=7.578)
- Chunhong Zheng†, Liang Zhao†, Gui’e Chen, Ying Zhou, Yuhong Pang, Yanyi Huang, Quantitative study of the dynamic tumor-endothelial interactions through an integrated microfluidic coculture system. († - Co-first Author), Analytical Chemistry, 2012, 84, 2088-2093. (IF=5.825)
- 赵亮, 申洁, 周宏伟, 黄岩谊, 《科学通报》, 集成微流控芯片, 2011, 56(23), 1855-1870. 赵亮, 黄岩谊, 《大学化学》, 微流控技术与芯片实验室, 2011, 26(3), 1-8.
- Liang Zhao, Peng Cheng, Jianxin Li, Yue Zhang, Miaomiao Gu, Jun Liu, Jianrong Zhang and Jun-Jie Zhu, Analysis of nonadherent apoptotic cells by a quantum dots probe in a microfluidic device for drug screening. Analytical Chemistry, 2009, 81, 7075-7080. (IF=5.825)
leave a comment about a paper here