October 9, 2013
- Synthesize new ZnPPIX with Dr Hartings
- Procedure adapted from "On the preparation of metalloporphyrins"
- 0.5g tetraphenylporphyrin refluxed in 50mL DMF
- 0.403g (stiochiometric amount) zinc acetate added, solution refluxed until reaction complete
- completion determination by unchanged peaks in UV-vis measurements
- 50mL distilled water added, solution chilled and then filtered
- the filtrate was filtered over again and added to main filtered sample
- Used to determine reaction completion (based on the change in the peaks)
No visible change in peaks between 'ZnPPIX#2 100x' (dark blue line- the second sample of refluxing ZnPPIX taken) and 'ZnPPIX after' (light blue line- the final sample taken when reflux was stopped), used to determine that the reaction was complete.
Peaks consistent with the literature: largest peak at ~500nm, next largest at ~600nm, smallest peak at ~550nm.
- Dissolve filtered ZnPPIX in DMF