I am a new member of OpenWetWare!
- Mark Ahearne
- Trinity Centre for Bioengineering
- Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute
- 152-160 Pearse Street
- Trinity College Dublin
- Dublin, Ireland
- Email me through OpenWetWare
- 2007, PhD in Biomedical Engineering, Keele University
- 2003, MSc in Cell and Tissue Engineering, Keele University
- 2001, BEng in Mechanical Engineering, University of Limerick
- Corneal tissue engineering
- Stem cell technology
- Ahearne M. Introduction to cell-hydrogel mechanosensing. Interface Focus 2014 (In press).
- Ahearne M, Liu Y, Kelly DJ. Combining freshly isolated chondroprogenitor cells from the infrapatellar fat pad with a growth factor delivery hydrogel as a putative single stage therapy for articular cartilage repair. Tissue Eng A 2013 (In press; DOI:10.1089/ten.TEA.2013.0267).
- Lynch AP, Ahearne M. Strategies for developing decellularized corneal scaffolds. Exp Eye Res 2013; 108: 42-47.
- Ahearne M, Kelly DJ. A comparison of fibrin, agarose and gellan gum hydrogels as carriers of stem cells and growth factor delivery microspheres for cartilage regeneration. Biomed Mater 2013; 8(035004): 1-10.
- Wilson SL, Wimpenny I, Ahearne M, Rauz S, El Haj AJ, Yang Y. Chemical and topographical effects on cell differentiation and matrix elasticity in a corneal stromal layer model. Adv Funct Mater 2012; 22(17): 3641-3649.
- Vinardel T, Rolfe RA, Buckley CT, Meyer EG, Ahearne M, Murphy P, Kelly DJ. Hydrostatic pressure acts to stabilise a chondrogenic phenotype in porcine joint tissue derived stem cells. Euro Cells Mater J 2012; 23: 121-134.
- Ahearne M, Buckley CT, Kelly DJ. Chondrogenesis of infrapatellar fat-pad MSCs using TGF-ß1 loaded gelatin microspheres in fibrin hydrogels. Biotechnol Appl Biochem 2011; 58(5): 345-352.
- Yang Y, Wimpenny I, Ahearne M. Portable nanofiber meshes dictate cell orientation throughout three-dimensional hydrogels. Nanomedicine NBM 2011; 7(2): 131-136.
- Then KY, Yang Y, Ahearne M, El Haj AJ. Effect of microtopographical cues on human keratocyte orientation and gene expression. Cur Eye Res 2011; 36(2): 88-93.
- Ahearne M, Liu KK, El Haj A, Then KY, Rauz S, Yang Y. Online monitoring of the mechanical behaviour of collagen hydrogels: Influence of corneal fibroblasts on elastic modulus. Tissue Eng C 2010; 16(2): 319-327.
- Ahearne M, Wilson SL, Liu KK, El Haj AJ, Rauz S, Yang Y. Influence of cell and collagen concentration on the cell-matrix mechanical relationship in a corneal stroma wound healing model. Exp Eye Res 2010; 91(5): 584-591.
- Li C, Ahearne M, Liu KK. Micromechanical characterizations of hydrogel based contact lens. Inter J Mod Phys B 2010; 24(1): 117-127.
- Ahearne M, Siamantouras E, Yang Y, Liu KK. Mechanical characterization of biomimetic membranes by micro-shaft-poking. J R Soc Interface 2009; 6(34): 471-478.
- Ahearne M, Yang Y, Then KY, Liu KK. Non-destructive mechanical characterization of UVA/riboflavin crosslinked collagen hydrogels. Br J Ophthalmol 2008; 92(2): 268-271.
- Ahearne M, Bagnaninchi PO, El Haj AJ, Yang Y. Online monitoring of collagen alignment in tissue engineered tendon by PSOCT. J Tissue Eng Regen Med 2008; 2(8): 521-524.
- Yang Y, Bagnaninchi P, Ahearne M, Wang R, Liu KK. A novel OCT-based micro-indentation technique for mechanical characterization of hydrogels. J R Soc Interface 2007; 4(17): 1169-1173.
- Ahearne M, Yang Y, Then KY, Liu KK. An indentation technique to characterize the mechanical and viscoelastic properties of human and porcine corneas. Ann Biomed Eng 2007; 35(9): 1608-1616.
- Ahearne M, Yang Y, El Haj AJ, Then KY, Liu KK. Characterizing the viscoelastic properties of thin hydrogel-based constructs for tissue engineering applications. J R Soc Interface 2005; 2(5): 455-463.