- Department of Plant Breeding and Biotechnology, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Zabol, Zabol 9861673831, IRAN
- PO Box 98615-538
- Tel.: +98 542 2225077
- Fax: +98 542 2226762
- 2001-2005: PhD, Plant Science Laboratories, School of Biological Sciences, The University of Reading, UK
- 1991-1995: BSc, Department of Plant Breeding and Agronomy, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Tehran, Iran
- 1983-1990: Highschool diploma (Math-physics division), Alborz Highschool, Tehran, Iran
- 2010-present: Assistant Professor, Department of Plant Breeding and Biotechnology, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Zabol, Zabol, Iran
- 2006-2010: Postdoctoral research fellow, Biotechnology Research Department, Research Institute of Forests and Rangelands, Tehran, Iran
- 2002-2003: Teaching assistant (MSc module "Techniques in Plant Biotechnology"), School of Biological Sciences, The University of Reading, UK
- 1999-2000: Genetics teacher and educational farm administrator, Dezful Agricultural Training Center, Ministry of Agriculture, Iran
- Tissue culture: Plant micropropagation, bacterial culture, Agrobacterium-mediated gene transformation, protoplast culture/electrofusion
- Molecular biology: DNA extraction (SDS, commercial kits, CTAB) and purification, SSR-PCR, IRAP/REMAP, agarose-gel electrophoresis
- Cytology: Chromosomal sample preparation, flowcytometry, in silico karyotype analysis
- As a long-term hobby, I have practiced BASIC programming, began with Z80 BASIC interpreters, and then switched to Microsoft QuickBASIC, Microsoft Visual Basic, and finally Microsoft VBA macro editor.
- Further to BASIC, my other IT-interest is SAS programming language, mainly focused on monitoring input/output exchange between SAS and Microsoft Office (Excel & Word).
- 1999: Intensive course in pharmaceutical herbs production. Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran.
- 2009: Web of Knowledge workshop for literature survey and analyzing scholarly documents. Rose System Co. & Imam Khomeini Training Center, Ministry of Agriculture, Tehran, Iran.
Activities and Interests
- MSc: IT Applications in Biotechnology, Plant Cytogenetics, Plant Micropropagation
- BSc: Statistics & Probability, Introduction to Plant Biotechnology
My research interests include:
- Studying the geneflow in wildtype species and its possible correlation with desertification.
- Investigating the viability and genetic stability of rare/endemic plant species during cryopreservation procedures.
- Investigating the feasibility of karyotypical & molecular characterization of rare/endemic species as a means of classification and biodiversity studies.
- Azimzadeh, M, Amiri, R, Assareh, M H, Forootan, M, and Bihamta, M R. "Sequencing and comparison of the nuclear ribosomal internal transcribed spacer region for Iranian black caraway populations" (Manuscript submitted)
- Shabannejad-Mamaghani, M, Assareh, M H, Omidi, M, Matinizadeh, M, Ghamari-Zare, A, Shahrzad, S and Forootan, M. (2009) "The effect of thidiazuron level on in vitro regeneration type and peroxidase profile in Eucalyptus microtheca F. Muell". Plant Growth Regulation, 59(3):199-205 (DOI: 10.1007/s10725 009 9404 x)
- Ghamari-Zare, A, Rezvani, S and Forootan, M. (2009) "Drought resistance assessment in annual medic using aquaculture conditions" Iranian Journal of Rangelands and Forests Breeding and Genetic Research , 16(2):182-197
- Forootan, M, Wetten, A C, and Wilkinson, M J. (2006) "Colchicine-induced chromosome elimination in potato callus culture." Proceedings of First Agricultural Biotechnology Conference, Razi University Press, Kermanshah, Iran, pp 208-212