User:Maxi Jaffe/Notebook/Biology 210 at AU

From OpenWetWare

Jump to: navigation, search

March 23, 2014 Zebra fish Labs In the zebra fish lab experiments, we tested the effects abnormal light conditions have on the development of zebra fish. The first lab of the zebra fish experiments started by placing 44 very young, on average at about the 12 hour stage, zebra fish into two petri dishes, half into a petri dish used as a control and half into a petri dish under constant light. Between the first and second lab, the zebra fish were checked on. On Monday, the progress between the two samples seemed normal and all of them were alive. During the second lab on Thursday, 18 zebra fish were alive in the constant light sample and 19 were alive in the control sample. Two of the living zebra fish were fixed at this stage. During the third lab, none of the zebra fish were alive in the constant light sample, and two of the zebrafish were alive in the control sample. The zebra fish that were fixed on the second lab both measured 140 ocular spaces and the one measured on the last day measured 160 ocular spaces.

February 28, 2014: LAB 5 Because of the Snow Day, this Lab was abridged and only consisted of us analyzing the invertebrates in our transect. We also observed preserved arthopods in glass jars including a crab, a centipede, an insect, a millipede and a spider. After looking at the preserves from the Berlese funnel, we only found one invertebrate, which was an ant.

February 21, 2014: LAB 4 Plant #1: It was a small green plant with short, thick leaves and it was rooted into the ground. It was located near the cattails, by the rocks and it had a lot of vascularization within the stem. Plant #2: The cattails are gymnosperms located in the center of the transect in a bush that was tall and dry. The cattails have a long, wide base and stems of about one inch long with densely packed spores inside the cattails. Plant #3: The red bush was a large bush with thin red stems that currently had no leaves. Some of the stems had seeds and berries at the ends. Plant #4: The grass was short and close to the ground with some inside the transect, but a lot surrounding it. Plant #5: The bushel plant looked like a short bush that was very dry. There wasn't a lot of it and it did not have any leaves. There was some vascularization at the root of the plant and through the small branches.


Picture 1: Green plant that was collected by the cattails at the middle of the transect

Picture 2: A cattail that was collected from the middle of the transect

Picture 3: The red bush plant that was collected from the side of the transect


Picture 4: Green grass that was collected from the grassy area of the transect


Picture 5: The bushel that was collected from the front of the transect 



February 12, 2014: LAB 3: The agar plate will have bacteria and maybe some fungi grow on them. The smell and appearance of the hay infusion will probably change and develop from week to week because different types of mold and fungi will start to develop. Bacterial growth and maybe some fungal growth is apparent on both the regular agar plates and the agar plates with the antibiotic. However, the plates without antibiotic appear to have more growth, besides one, which has no growth. Overall, the antibiotic either causes no colonies to grow in or it allows antibiotic resistant bacteria to grow. Only one of the bacterial species was unaffected by tetracycline and it grew on the plate with 10-7 dilution.

Picture 1: A bacterial colony on the 10-5 agar plate.

Picture 2: A bacterial colony on the 10-7 agar plate.


Picture 3: Microscope picture of gram positive stain of bacteria from the 10-7 agar plate.


February 5, 2014: LAB 2: The hay infusion has a slight bad smell. The culture has a muddy color and there is a lot of dirt on the bottom along with the leaves and a few branches. There is a very thin layer of film on top. The different species include Colpidium, Paramecium, and Chlamydomonas. The colpidium are around 45 µm and look to be vibrating, and may have cilia. The Paramecium are around 130 µm and move slowly. The Chlamydomonas are around 4.5 µm, and has two flagella that propel it. There is an unknown organism that is around 75 µm and has one long flagella that is attached to a plant leaf.


Picture 1: Hay infusion of mini marsh sample

Picture 2: Top view of mini marsh hay infusion.

Picture 3. Organisms found in hay infusion, including chlamydomonas and paramecium.



January 29, 2014: LAB 1: Transect: Mini marsh, behind Kogod and between Cassell and Katzen. Cement and grass border the transect Topography: It is sloped downwards, there is shade from building but it is also exposed to sunshine. There are no trees in the transect, but there are bushes, rocks, dirt and grass, with a drain on edge of transect (at bottom of slope), sidewalk along another edge of transect, Biotic factors: bushes, cattails, grass, soil, bugs, worms, squirrels/rats/mice Abiotic factors: large rocks, small rocks, drain, cement pieces, debris. For our Hay Infusion culture, we sampled some of the dirt, grass, leaves, and different plants. The bottom layer has dirt, leaves, and branches. The middle layer has muddy water, and there is a slight film on top of water. Samples from the layers contain colpidium, chlamydomonas, and paramecium aurelia or paramecium bursaria.

Personal tools