- Make clay-CuSO4 exchange solutions for atomic absorption analysis.
- Atomic absorption will be conducted on 2012/10/05.
- Make PVOH-clay-glutaraldehyde films.
- PVOH (MW 22000), 0.1 wt% NaMT, 0.8 wt% glutaraldehyde
- PVOH (MW 22000), 0.1 wt% 100%CEC NaMT, 0.8 wt% glutaraldehyde
- Please refer to Moira Esson's entry for masses added to make PVOH films.
Clay-CuSO4 Exchange Solutions
- Pour 20 mL of CuSO4 stock solution into a beaker with a stir bar.
- As the solution is stirring, add 0.1 g of clay and begin the timer.
- Filter the solution with dry 42 Whatman paper into a filter flask immediately after the set time period has ended. Make sure that all glassware and equipment is clean and dry.
- Save the both the filtrate and the filtered clay.
- Wash all glassware and equipment first with H2O and then with acetone for later use.
- The following clays were exchanged for 1 min, 5 min, and 10 min:
- 100% CEC (Bu3HdP+)-MT
- 50% CEC (Bu3HdP+)-MT
- ? filtrate were transparent and faintly green in color.