Perform an experiment to determine the kinetics of the absorption of Malachite Green by Activated Carbon.
- Preparation of Malachite Green solution by James
- .0996 g of MG in 500 mL of water
- UV-Vis calculated concentration: 146 ppm
- 136.75 mL of 146 ppm in 1000 mL
- UV-Vis calculated concentration: 23.3 ppm
- Activated Carbon vs. 10mL 23.3 ppm Malachite Green
- 10 mL of 23.3 ppm MG are added to .01 g of activated carbon for a certain period of time.
- after the period of time has passed, the solution is filtered from the activated carbon using a vacuum filter.
- UV-Vis spectra are recorded to calculate the amount of MG absorbed in the given amount of time.
- Time intervals: every 15s for the first two minutes, followed by every 30 seconds for the next two minutes, followed by every minute up to 7 minutes
- Each time interval was done in a separate scintillation vial because the experiment proceeds too quickly to simply sample a single solution repeatedly.
The graph that follows was created using previously-made calibration curves for the concentration of Malachite Green in solution using UV-Vis Spectrometry:
Add notes here.