- Synthesis of Bovine Serum Albumen Conjugated Gold Nanoparticles.
- Prepared 10ml aqueous mixtures of BSA (0.0015mM)and HAuCl4 (0.25mM) using H2O at room temperature.
- Placed reaction mixtures in an 80°C oven.
- Obtained UV-Vis Spectra of the mixture in the wavelength range of 200-800nm at 30 minute intervals for 2 hours using a Shimadzu UV-2550.
- The mixture was removed from the oven and was wrapped in aluminum foil.
2.5*10^-5 moles HAuCl4 / 1 L * 0.01 L * 339.785 g HAuCl4 / 1 Mol HAuCl4 = 8.49*10^-5 g HAuCl4
1.5*10^-6 moles BSA / 1 L * 0.01 L * 66,776 g BSA / 1 Mol BSA = 0.001 g BSA
- The actual amounts used were 0.006g HAuCl4 and 0.001g of BSA .
- The graph below is the UV-Vis Spectra of HAuCl4/BSA/H2O obtained in the wavelength range of 200-800nm.
- The graph below is the same as the figure above it, but is zoomed in at 550nm in order to observe the changes in absorbance.
- The graph below exhibited an overall increase in absorbance, indicating an increase in the amount of BSA conjugated gold nanoparticles formed in H2O.
- Amount of AuCl4 used was 0.006g instead of 8.49*10-5 g HAuCl4.
- Amount of BSA used was 0.001g.
- Both AuCl4 and BSA were placed in 10 ml of deionized H2O, which was the buffer.
- At time 0, which was 2pm, the reaction mixture was placed in a 69°C oven for 30 minutes. A UV spectrum(200nm - 800nm) of the reaction mixture was obtained using a Shimadzu UV-2550.
- At time 1, 2:30pm, the reaction mixture was placed back into the oven for another 30 minutes. The temperature was 70°C. A UV spectrum (200nm - 800nm) was obtained.
- At time 2, 3:00pm,the reaction mixture was placed into the oven for 30 minutes. The temperature was 74°C. A UV spectrum (200nm - 800nm) was obtained.
- At time 3, 3:30min, the reaction mixture was placed into the oven for 15 minutes.The temperature was 74°C. A UV spectrum (200nm - 800nm) was obtained.
- At time 4, 3:45pm , the reaction mixture was placed back in the oven, which had a temperature of 77°C. A UV spectrum (200nm - 800nm) was obtained and the reaction mixture was wrapped in aluminum foil and stored.
- The mixture contained no fibers and was clear.
- A purple staining was observed in the quartz cuvette used to obtain UV-Vis spectra. The stain could not be removed by washing.This could have altered the resulting UV-Vis graph because all the different colors of visible light except purple would be absorbed.
Use categories like tags. Change the "Course" category to the one corresponding to your course. The "Miscellaneous" tag can be used for particular experiments, as instructed by your professor. Please be sure to change or delete this tag as required so that the categories remain well organized.