March 6 - Adhesive strength test with weights
- Set up new baterica experiment
- Cure coatings with JA-230
- Repeat blank thermal energy study
- Adhesive strength study on nails
Thermal Energy Study
- The thermal energy study will be repeated in duplicate to make sure results are consistent
- The test is completed on the bench with a large tray blocking air flow from the window. The test starts when the hotplate has already been warmed up.
- Table 1. Shows the duplicate results for the thermal energy study with the aluminum dish without coating.
Antimicrobial Tests and Results
- The test was repeated, because the cells seems to have grown too fast after the 24 hour period previously.
- Checked on the petridishes in the incubator after 7 hours.
- the cells look to be spread over the entire petridish; Can not count cultures
- the cells coming from the film with epoxy only look more spread out on the agar plate, and thicker than the cells coming from the film with epoxy+TiO2
- Figure 1. Shows the set of the adhesive strength study with the steel nails. The images is pictured with the first two nails with epoxy and TiO2 coatings having already failed at 5 lbs.
- Both Epoxy with TiO2 coatings broke within 5 seconds at 5lbs
- One of the epoxy coatings lasted to 10 lbs. less than 5 seconds, and the other broke within 5 seconds with 5 lbs
- We believe that there may be inconsistencies with how the nails were prepped. For example if they were filed flat enough.
- Also next time we are going to tie the weight in the middle of the weight instead of the end to decrease the amount of torque applied to the test during the experiment.