Urease agar assay is used to differentiate micro organisms based on their urease producing ability.
- BBL Urea agar base concentration 10X (Becton, Dickinson and Company (BD), Sparks, MD)
- Granulated agar
- Dissolve 1.7g of granulated agar in 100 ml of dH20.
- Boil it for 40sec in a microwave
- Autoclave the boiled agar at 121C, 15min, 15lb
- Cool the agar to 50C
- Add 10ml room temperature Urea Agar Concentrate-10X to the agar
- Pour in to plates (5 plates)
- Streak wild type, mutant on to the plate
- Incubate wild type, mutant and a control at 37C
- Watch for change in the color from yellow to pink
- A pink color indicates presence of Urease activity