Venture Mentoring Services
Venture Mentoring Services conference call 2/22/08
Notes and action
Dawn suggested we conduct a series of interviews with several consortia to determine their business models
- Identify a list of consortia to examine
- DSpace (MIT libraries)
- Things that Think (MIT Media Lab)
- Digital Life (MIT Media Lab)
- Center for Digital Business (MIT Sloan)
- Compile a list of interview questions for consortia directors
- What is the structure of the consortium?
- Where does your funding come from?
- What are your obligations to members?
- Build a list of 3 possible sustainability models each with a possible budget or budget requirements.
- Donations + Advertising
- What do we want from our board?
- What might they expect in return for serving on our board?
Short-, Medium-, and long-term projects we hope to accomplish with OWW
- Take some number of iGem 2008 projects from start (lab notebooks kept on OWW) to finish (publication of top 10 projects in a recognized medium)
Make decisions about what OWW business and financial information will be made visible to the community...
- We already know that all information that is of a scientific nature will be made public.
- What business information, by law, must a nonprofit make public?
- What information should be made public on a need-to-know basis?
- What information should not be made public (employee salaries, for example?)
Timelines and Milestones
- What questions do we need to answer and by when?
Lorrie to take a stab at making a master schedule. (Dawn used the phrase, "Gant chart" which gave me a chill...)
Next VMS meeting on March 14.