3 December 2008
Date: 3 December 2008; Time: 1100; Agenda: Preparation of Ecoli Inoculum
1.Preparation of culture medium:
- 14g of LB Agar was weighed using a weighing machine and poured into a 400ml bottle.
- 400ml of distilled water was added to the bottle.
- An autoclave sticky tape was attached to the bottle.
- 2 such bottles were prepared for LB Agar.
- Repeat this procedure for LB Broth.
- The 4 bottles were put into an autoclave machine and autoclaved at 121 degrees and for 15 minutes.
- The autoclave process, however, lasted about 2 hours due to both temperature and pressure fluctuation in the autoclave.
- The bottles were removed from the autoclave and the 2 bottles of LB Broth medium was put into a 70 degrees incubator for storage.
- The 2 bottles LB Agar medium were used to fill 40 petri dishes in the fume hood.
- The LB Agar was poured out slowly from the bottle such that it covered the entire surface of the petri dish. This requires about 10-15ml of LB Agar per dish.
- The petri dishes were left in the fume hood for about 10 minutes to let them harden.
- They are then parafilmed and then placed in the 4 degrees fridge for storage.
2.Preparation of Ecoli (K12 W3110) Inoculum:
- 1ml of Ecoli was added to 9ml LB Broth in a test tube using pipettes in the fume hood.
- The test tube was then placed in an incubator at 30rpm for 16hr for 30 degrees.