AFM START GUIDE
AFM Lab Start Guide
Please read this before starting AFM lab.
- Bring the sample stage ALL THE WAY DOWN when changing samples. (You must practice sample change on the "training AFM" before doing it on your AFM)
- Always keep samples in a covered case when not in use.
- Always handle them with tweezers.
- Use gloves when handling E.coli samples.
Cantilever probe handling
- Ask an instructor for probe change.
- Try not to break the cantilever. Always look under stereomicroscope when bringing samples in contact with cantilever (look for it’s reflection on the shiny sample surface)
Laser alignment and focus
- Needs to be done every time you change probe.
- It is easier to use flat sample surface to get a nice force curve.
Device setup connections
- Do NOT change the angle of the column (Do not touch the two screws on the back of AFM)
- Do not unplug/plug cable connections while the power supply is turned on -it will damage the power supply
- Start the new version of matlab (MATLAB R2007b) and change its path to Z:\athena.mit.edu\course\20\20.309\Students\Labs\AFM and type in ScannerGUI in the command window.
- Ted Pella 607-AFM Calibration Specimen