Build-a-BUG: Series 2, Session 3
Saturday, March 9, 2013
Noon to 4:00 PM
This is the third Build-A-BUG workshop in a series of five on yeast. You will learn more about molecular cloning and continue to hone your basic lab techniques, while continuing either your own or somebody else's mating type detector project.
Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) protocol
- Assemble PCR mixture
- PCR master mix - 45.0 μL
- Nuclease-free water -35.6 μL
- 10X PCR buffer - 5.0 μL
- Forward primer (VF2) - 1.6 μL
- Reverse primer (VR) - 1.3 μL
- Deoxynucleotide triphosphate (dNTP) mix - 1.0 μL
- Taq DNA polymerase - 0.5 μL
- Template DNA (BBa_J63002) - 5.0 μL
- Amplify in thermal cycler
- Melt at 95°C for ? sec
- Anneal at ?°C for ? sec
- Extend at 72°C for ? sec
- Repeat 29 times (for 30 cycles total)
- Hold at 4°C
- We planned to ligate all parts and transform E. coli during this session. Unfortunately, we ran into two problems: the alpha-cell promoter part was not ready and the ADH1 terminator did not cut as expected (see gel image below).
- After weighing all options, we decided to PCR amplify the ADH1 terminator (BBa_J63002).
Deb's PCR Product Gel.jpg