Cong T. Trinh:basic technique checklist
1. Safety is the PRIORITY. Rules are if you are not trained to do experiments that are potentially hazardous, consult your supervisor first to discuss procedures in detail.
2. Learn how to use and maintain a lab notebook.
3. Learn ethic codes of how to conduct research.
4. Learn to store chemicals in appropriate locations to avoid product degradation.
5. Sterile techniques (preparing solid and liquid medium and solutions, working in the laminar flow hood, maintaining lab bench).
6. Pipetting (how to use and maintain pipette).
7. Solid and liquid media preparation for cell cultures.
8. Perform cell growth and measure growth kinetics.
9. Perform culture transfer in solid and liquid medium.
10. Genomic DNA extraction.
11. Plasmid miniprep (QIAGEN kit)
12. Gel electrophoresis.
13. Quantification of DNA concentration.
14. Prepare competent cells for chemical and electroporation transformation
15. Transform by chemical and electroporation techniques.
16.Preparation of cell cultyres for -80*C frozen stock.
17. Preparation of anaerobic cultures.
18. Design primers to amplify a gene.
19. PCR technique.
20. Perform DNA digestion and ligation for molecular cloning.
21. Design primers and perform Gibson Isothermal One Pot Assembly.
22. Basic instruments: Microcentrifuge, bench centrifuges, gel electrophoresis, UV imaging, shakers, incubators, HPLC, GC/MS, fermenters, balances, pH meters, UV spec, Thermocycler.
23. Learn basic bioinformatics: design primers to amplify a gene, identify restriction sites for molecular cloning, design multiple genes in an operon, identify promoters, operators, start codons, stop codons, protein aligmnet.