In vivo evolution technique to discover novel ligands
- Title: An in vivo evolution approach towards the discovery of novel ligands at orphan G-protein coupled receptors
- Proposer: Zhang Yi & Yang Yifan
- Abstract: This is a proposal for our iGEM 2007 project at PKU. Directed evolution is a technique often used to optimize biological parts for a desired function, despite the enormous manual efforts required. We proposal to develop a standarized in vivo evolution technique in yeast cells using human B cell AID gene with which many genes can be optimized for a certain function and genes with novel functions can be discovered. In particular, we plan to apply it to the discovery of ligands for orphan GPCR, using GFP expression controlled by MAP kinase pathway as a target function, automatically screened by FACS. If succeed, the possible large amounts of ligands we discovered will be good candidates for neurological drugs, and the technique developed will greatly enhance the development of synthetic biology.
Study on the regulatory network of genetically engineered macrophage
- Title: Study on the regulatory network of cell proliferation of the genetically engineered macrophage against the development of atherosclerosis
- Proposer: Ye Zelian
- Abastract: Cardiovascular disease, the leading cause of death and illness will become prominent health problem worldwide. Atherosclerosis constitutes the single most important contributor to the growing burden of cardiovascular disease. This study will construct an engineered macrophage which degrades the accumulated lipid in the foam cells by producing and secreting lysosomal acid lipase. The decomposed products of oxidized-LDL which is degraded by lysosomal acid lipase can activate PPARγ as the natural ligand. By engineered PPARγ-response promoter which mediated expression of a gene that is used to initiate cell proliferation signaling, ox-LDL can stimulate cell proliferation as an environmental stimulator. On the other hand, the proliferation of the genetically engineered macrophage is on the control of the inflammatory reaction. The cell will exist from the cell cycle while the inflammatory reaction is reduced. The significance is that it’s the first time to build the regulatory network of the cell proliferation in mammalian cells. It will not only make further understanding on the regulatory system of the mammalian cell proliferation, but also provide a significant experience for future cell therapy. This study will probably provide a potential ways to cure atherosclerosis by cell therapy.
Utilizing the E.coli SOS system to achieve fast response
- Title: Utilizing the E.coli SOS system to achieve fast response in a dry environment
- Proposer: Niming
- Abstract: need to be filled
Rapid and high throughput dead-or-alive selection of fluorescent C.elegans
- Title: Create a fluorescent C.elegans for rapid and high throughput dead-or-alive selection
- Proposer: Yu Tao
- Abstract: C.elegans is one of the common model organisms in current study of biology. It has been manipulated in many realms of biology research, including biochemistry, developmental biology, molecular biology. Also it is by studying C.elegans that we acquire the concept of cell apoptosis. Based on C.elegans, the investigations of some critical biological problems are developing at a staggering pace. However, means of selection for C.elegans, especially the dead-or-alive selections, are still primitive. Therefore, a rapid and high throughput dead-or-alive selection of C.elegans, I believe, is pressing and contributive.
Implementing a hop count in E.coli to demonstrate amorphous computing
- Title: Pattern drawing with Escherichia coli culture manifesting principles of amorphous computing
- Proposer: Yang Yifan
Enable E. coli to gather protein molecules
- Title: Engineered E. coli as protein collectors
- Proposer: Lu Dan
(My abstract is too detailed so I put it in details... then the details seem too abstract...)
A short name (less than 10 words)