7 May 2009 Lab Meeting
- New lab meeting time T 10a-12pm room 705 starting 5/12/2009
† Flu R01
- Progress report done.
- sample collection done.
- Three flu fixtures completed today at the machine shop for 400$, another one ordered for general purpose use (Jane and Jaephil)
† SEPSIS Project
- Revision in process due 5/20
- Jeff visiting week of May 25th
- Integration with the glass slide.
- new air channel design sent to machine shop
- new fluid channel made in PDMS
- making the polyurethane mold had proven challenging as it sticks to the plastic fixture, tried mold release but didn't help
- new cutting plotter carrier sheet ordered
- new air channel mold did not cure well and the PDMS made from it was leaking. need to do it again, mold material ordered.
- Substrates (JZ)
- Let's get this to a point where we can publish and move on....JZ and CMK to discuss.
- Making substrate in microwewlls? (motivation? need to implement valves)
- Co-evaporate colloids? (the morphology won't be uniform or consistent each time, signal analysis system non-existent)
- Sol-gel on Teflon? (can serve to study basic material science only)
- Do Rhodamine. Leaked. Need to try again.
- Found the problem. Liquid and air channel widths reversed. Will make new chip and try again.
-Need a size specific positive control. PS beads? charged?
- 1um unmodified, undiluted PS beads give distinctive spectrum on Ranjith's substrate
- try coated PS beads.
† Virus concentration
- ATCC flu virus grew and harvested
- Plaque assay of harvested virus in progress: learning from Brendan, will try if enough cells
- Concentrator chip design underway
† Valve Array/Valve building - done.
- Who is in charge of this now that the SP students are gone? Alex?
† Fraunhofer: LOAC
- Paper in revision Yeah!
- Bonding meeting with MIT folks - Alex left some samples with them. Updates?
† Biointerfaces group
- Final draft with collaborators.
- designing herringbone groove for better trapping (Mask writer down until next Tuesday)
- investigate the stability under different Peclet numbers (ratio of hydrodynamic force and Brownian force).
† CIMIT- Colson Grant
- Cathie read and gave back PCR 1 paper to QQ and MCK
- Qingqing has written the introduction
- repeated test of the PCR efficiency for different designs of channel.
- test PCR efficiency using smaller DNA size (63bp product).
- analyze PCR product for different temperature using bioanalyzer.
- getting statistical data for the activation energy from 50 particle simulation (Fig. 5-7)
- Mincheol has written the introduction, results and discussion, and conclusion.
- will develop large scale particle modeling in full PCR model (30 PCR cycles or 20 PCR cycles)
- Giving up on white paper. Think about other grant outlets.
- Preliminary no-valve design for 25 microliters.
- 20 more test chips to Sonali (AACC poster).
- Sonali try to do 10 microliters in the tube * Updates?
- Jane is working on passive valve characterization: threshold pressure not related to cantilever length or bonding time, try hole size next
† Senior project
- HDA on chip. Make simple chip that mixes two things for HDA. Move chip to heater, do HDA demonstration = home run.
- Plasma helped bonding.
- EHS wants MSDS stuff.
† Silica Optimization (Lambda):
- Run single PCR product from QQ or Sonali the test with the bioanalyzer