NanoBio: Cleaning SiO2 surfaces
- Load coverslips into ceramic holder.
- Immerse in heated 20% 7x detergent for 5 minutes.
- Rinse coverslips thoroughly for 5 minutes with double distilled water.
- Dry the coverslips with N2(g).
- Cleaning surfaces for supported bilayer formation
- Expose to air plasma for 3 min. using Harrick plasma cleaner in Rm 1201.
- Note:Do not place colloidal gold or PDMS (polydimethylsiloxane) in the plasma cleaner. This will contaminate the chamber and other people’s samples. If you want to plasma clean a sample that contains these materials, please talk to Paul Ashby about using a separate glass chamber
- Note:Contact Paul Ashby for safety training in order to gain access to Rm1201.
- Close the needle valve.
- Hold the lid on the chamber.
- Turn on the pump.
- Open the needle valve so that you stably maintain a pressure of 100-140 mTorr.
- Turn on the power to the chamber.
- For SiO2, turn the power setting to high for 3 min. The chamber should glow purple with a hint of white.
- Turn off the pump.
- Watch the pressure gauge. When it reaches 1 torr, slowly open the valve until the lid pops off.