Making Ethidium Bromide stock
- Concentrated stock (20,000x)
- Make the stock in a 15 mL Falcon tube with three tablets of EtBr (50 mg for each, 150 mg in total) and 15 mL of H2O.
- The final concentration for the concentrated EtBr stock is 1 mg/mL.
- After you make the stock, wrap the tube up with tin foil and place it in the 4C deli fridge.
- NOTE: Any tips or tubes that touch the concentrated stock are considered as hazardous wastes and should go into hazardous waste bottle by the gel station.
- Working stock (5,000x)
- Take 250 uL of the concentrated EtBr stock (20,000x) out and add 750 uL of H2O (a total volume of 1000 uL).
- The working stock is not considered as hazardous waste. (Lower than 0.4%)
- Making gels
- 20 uL of working stock (5,000x) per 100 mL agarose gel.
- Created by Yen-Hsiang (07/13/2012)