Procedure for recycling used glass beads.
- Lab dispenser soap
- 95% Ethanol
- Collect beads from plastic containers around the benches.
- Soak the beads in a larger container with water.
- Add soap and mix well.
- This step is to remove the excess material stuck to the beads.
- Rinse the beads with water to remove all trace of soap.
- It helps to use a strainer.
- Rinse the beads with the Ethanol.
- This step removes residual water.
- Transfer beads to glass bead jars.
- Cover loosely with lids and allow the beads to dry (overnight). autoclaving while still wet may cause the beads to develop a filmy coating.
- Autoclave on gravity cyle, tighten lids on after cooling and store.