Mac OS X
- Download source
- Open a terminal window and do the following
- cd to Desktop
- extract the file (add z switch to tar if Safari didn't automatically gunzip)
- enter the directory
- compile clustalw
- try running clustalw to make sure you comiled it successfully
- copy clustalw to a place where python can find it (e.g. /usr/bin)
- Example terminal commands
tar -xvf clustalw1.83.UNIX.tar.gz
sudo sudo cp clustalw /usr/bin/
- Download clustalw executable for Windows.
- From the desktop, right click My Computer and click properties.
- In the System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.
- In the Advanced section, click the Environment Variables button.
- Finally, in the Environment Variables window, highlight the path variable in the Systems Variable section and click edit.
- Add or modify the path lines with the paths you wish the computer to access. Each different directory is separated with a semicolon.
- Add the directory containing clustalw to your path.
- Your final environmental variable would look like the following if you had extracted clustalw to C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Desktop\clustalw (your desktop).
C:\Program Files;C:\Winnt;C:\Winnt\System32; C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Desktop\clustalw