Undergraduate BE Board:Minutes - 02/10/09 Minutes

From OpenWetWare

Jump to: navigation, search

Image:UGMITBETopBEBoard2.gif

Home              UG Program Info              Members              Meetings              Pictures       Curriculum       Links              Contact us      


BE UG Board Meeting Minutes
02-10-09
BEUG Lounge
5:45 pm

Attendance: Bernice, Maryelise, Paul, Kevin, Dawn, Jenn, Alex, Emzo, Emily

  1. Welcome and Attendance
  2. ASA recognition - Maryelise
    • Matt Lang's letter of BEUB approval
    • official write up of the differences between BEUB and BE-BMES
    • deadline is Feb 13th
    • drop down to "sponsored"
    • email Prof. Griffith about a letter of sponsorship
  3. The new Society for Biological Engineering emails
    • not ASA recognized
  4. Course 20 Underground Guide
    • set of questions for survey - make today
      • how hard is this class compared to 20.110 or 20.320?
      • are the pre-req's appropriate?
      • was this class useful?
      • other? (look in past minutes)
    • use survey monkey for each class
    • pay someone to collect and organize data
    • put results on BEUG wiki for all to see and use
    • get people's info by using websis degree audit to see which classes students take
  5. Associate Advising - Maryelise
    • Email to AAs to see if they have planned anything yet (keep reminding them to do so)
    • make sure all associate advisors are utilized (10s and 09s)
  6. Study Breaks -
    • add study breaks for 20.330 and 20.310 test nights to flyer
    • flyer to hand out at these events- update them with more information (names, captions, etc), then email out to BE lists
    • send follow up emails to get details on what BE students want from Course 20 (what about med school, grad school, internships, etc)
    • email Fraenkel, Manalis, Grodzinsky, Wittrup to talk at Grad School info session (with date and time)
      • Tentatively April 23rd
    • email Niles, Dedon about Med-school session (with date and time)
    • ask Dan if he will talk at an internship info session (with date and time)
      • Feb. 25th.
      • get him to give us a summary of internship info to put on the BEUG wiki
      • let BE students know that internships are posted in BE Lounge
    • ROUND TABLE BE ELECTIVES discussion study break
      • linda's idea
      • when, where, time, food?
      • May 4th (more info to come later)
    • Lunches with BE professors
      • start asap
      • begin with BEUB advisors? (easy access)
      • vary days of week, times, etc - make schedule today
  7. Elections - Dawn
    • sell remaining shirts at elections
  8. UG Lounge
    • posters - when arrive?
    • coffee pot - installed? how figure out who buys the coffee?
    • keep checking on other parts of lounge - i.e. big wall-size whiteboard for tutor room (go through catalog and pick one out, comfy seats to nap, etc.
      • need to make specific list (for Fraenkel and Cathy) with whiteboard dimensions, specific couch size, etc to order
    • suggestions box - have shoebox yet?
  9. Senior Dinner - Dawn
    • Dawn will talk to Dan
  10. BE T-Shirts - Bernice
    • Cathy is emailing out about picking up t-shirts
    • Decide after we have sold some more this week
    • BE Gear -
      • sweatshirts, winter hat, pencils
      • new design for next year
      • send out email for a design? for interest? -- next year
  11. BE Seminars - how get BE students on that email list
    • ask cathy about getting on the list
  12. Curriculum Committee
    • get dates from Cathy
    • who/how many can attend?
      • email Bernice if you can come (Dawn, Emzo, Bernice)
  13. Tutoring
    • updates on which classes are covered
    • publicize tutoring for all core BE classes!
    • 20.111 tutor or not?
  14. Next meeting with Linda Griffith - Mon Feb 23rd 5pm 56-402 with busybeboard
    • hopefully by then she has spoken with Matt Lang about BE-BMES vs BEUB
  15. Next BEUB meeting = 6pm Wednesday, Coffee House
    • include transitions for new officers
  16. Other?
    • Start a pre-orientation program (Emily Jean)
      • Maybe do it with course 10 (MJ will get more information from the course 9 coordinator)

TODO: Maryelise:

  • send AA spreadsheet to Bernice
  • email prof. griffith about the letter to the ASA
  • ask cathy about laminating posters
Personal tools