Alondra Vega Loyola Marymount University 1 LMU Drive MSB 7851 Los Angeles, CA, 90045
- BS in Biomathematics expected in Spring 2012.
- Upper Division Courses in Biology, Mathematics and Chemistry
- Microbiology and Lab
- Biochemistry (this semester)
- Partial Differential Equations
- Introduction to Probability and Statistics
- Advanced Probability and Statistics (this semester)
- Complex Analysis (this semester)
- Biomathematics (this semester)
Career Interests and Goals
I am interested in pursuing a Masters Degree in Nursing
Biology and Mathematics
- My favorite aspect of biology is that it has many branches of learning. It can be seen everywhere and I believe that is the reason why so many people are interested in this subject. It can be broken down to whatever your favorite aspect is and you are guaranteed that there is enough information on that topic to get a PhD.
- My favorite aspect of mathematics is the problem-solving skills one learns when learning mathematics. Mathematics is also everywhere, it's just not as obvious to many people. Mathematics is a beautiful subject that can solve complex problems in other fields of learning.
The one concern I have about the course is working on a Journal Club. I have worked with them before and from experience I can say that more than 90% of the time I do not understand the material. It is very dense in biology and the vocabulary is hard to understand. I do not feel that I have taken enough upper division biology to understand more than half of the material. I feel the same way as for the mathematically based papers that I have read in the past.
- Mathematical modeling of gene regulatory networks in yeast.
- Image:Matlab practice changed parameters 2 3 and 6 AV 28052010.ppt
- Image:Jothi mapp hierarchical framework.zip
- Alondra's Notebook
- Introductory tutorial
- OpenWetWare help pages
- Degradation rates and production rates
- Supplementary information (data) for abundance and variation measurements
- Translation efficiency measured by tRNA Adaptation Index
- Supporting information about half-life
- Protein abundance
Bibliography of Journal Club Papers
- Universally Sloppy Parameters Sensitivities in Systems Biology Models by Gutenkunst et al.
- Genomic Analysis Reveals a Tight Link Between Transcription Factor Dynamics and Regulatory Network Architecture by R. Jothi et al.
- Perez P and Rincón SA. . pmid:20175747.
This paper shows great figures for Rho GTPases in the cell wall.
- Fuchs BB and Mylonakis E. . pmid:19717745.
This paper gives a good overview of environmental stresses, such as heat shock, along with figures.
- Pacheco A, Pereira C, Almeida MJ, and Sousa MJ. . pmid:19383678.
This paper talks about the small protein HSP12 and how it contributes to cold response in yeast.
- Murata Y, Homma T, Kitagawa E, Momose Y, Sato MS, Odani M, Shimizu H, Hasegawa-Mizusawa M, Matsumoto R, Mizukami S, Fujita K, Parveen M, Komatsu Y, and Iwahashi H. . pmid:16254683.